Author Topic: ACR and Levels in PM v5  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Alexander940

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ACR and Levels in PM v5
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
I crop my images in PM, Save them and use a Photoshop Batch command to apply minimal Levels, Sharpening and Save. Sometimes it's for 100's of files.
Now when running my Batch command, instead of applying Levels, it opens in Camera Raw, not Photoshop CS5.1. Never did this in previous version of PM.
How to revert? IF it's something simple, can I make that change to the already cropped images or do I need to start over and re-crop?
Thanks,
Alexander
New Orleans, LA

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ACR and Levels in PM v5
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
Alexander,

I crop my images in PM, Save them and use a Photoshop Batch command to apply minimal Levels, Sharpening and Save. Sometimes it's for 100's of files.
Now when running my Batch command, instead of applying Levels, it opens in Camera Raw, not Photoshop CS5.1. Never did this in previous version of PM.
How to revert? IF it's something simple, can I make that change to the already cropped images or do I need to start over and re-crop?

Try taking Photo Mechanic out of the equation and open the files via the Finder/Windows Explorer.  Does the problem still happen?  If so then it is likely not a PM issue.

The way PM gives photos to applications has not changed in quite some time.

-Kirk

Offline Alexander940

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:18:39 AM »
Bob sent this to me..
When Photo Mechanic v4.6.9 or v5 adds a crop, it is now storing that info in the XMP section so it can be found by Photoshop and Lightroom. The Camera raw preferences can open these Tiffs and Jpegs by using the Open with settings option. If you set the Camera Raw prefs not to open any Tiffs or Jpegs, then Jpegs and Tiffs with Photo Mechanic crops will be ignored by the ACR module.[/i][/i]
 I removed the crop and it still wants to use ACR. Matter of fact, suddenly, out of the blue, all of my files will only open in ACR. So now my question is, how to remove the ACR Plug in from Photoshop. Where is it. I don't see it in the Plug in folder. This is now a serious change to my workflow and this never happened before I upgraded to PM 5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »
Bob sent this to me..
When Photo Mechanic v4.6.9 or v5 adds a crop, it is now storing that info in the XMP section so it can be found by Photoshop and Lightroom. The Camera raw preferences can open these Tiffs and Jpegs by using the Open with settings option. If you set the Camera Raw prefs not to open any Tiffs or Jpegs, then Jpegs and Tiffs with Photo Mechanic crops will be ignored by the ACR module.

I removed the crop and it still wants to use ACR. Matter of fact, suddenly, out of the blue, all of my files will only open in ACR. So now my question is, how to remove the ACR Plug in from Photoshop. Where is it. I don't see it in the Plug in folder. This is now a serious change to my workflow and this never happened before I upgraded to PM 5.

What kind of images are you cropping?  ACR is built-into Photoshop CSx and other than for TIFFs and JPEGs there is no way to opt out of using the ACR interface for opening RAW file types since Photoshop doesn't directly open RAW files.  If you're working with TIFFs and JPEGs then go into the File Handling section of the Photoshop Preferences, click on the "Camera RAW Preferences..." button and then disable JPEG and TIFF support.

HTH,

-Kirk