Author Topic: Photo Mechanic freezing on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks)  (Read 5392 times)

Offline MLP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic freezing on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks)
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Photo Mechanic version 5.0 Build 15077 (39d4ee2)
Mac OS X 10.9 - Intel-based iMac

Issue: For the past few weeks, possibly since my Mavericks upgrade I've been having the following issue in PM. Whenever I press the Choose button within PM, the application freezes when I start clicking on folders. Here are a few examples:

Photo Mechanic 5 / Preferences / Caching / Choose (button) -> freezes while "browsing" from one folder to another
Photo Mechanic 5 / Preferences / Launching / Default application to edit photos / assign a default application / Choose... -> freezes while "browsing" from one folder to another
File / Ingest / Primary Destination -> Either the application will freeze, but most of the time, the Ingest window will close as soon as the Primary Destination button is pressed. So basically, I press the Primary Destination button, the Finder window will open for 2 seconds and the Ingest window will close. If I get far enough to choose a destination, I'll open a folder and the application will freeze.

This behavior has been happening only in PM. I've tested the "same" steps in other application where pressing a button would open a Finder window (changing the default location of the iTunes library for example) and everything is fine.

So far in PM, I've tried unchecking the  "Run Navigation Services dialogs in a separate process" box as well as renaming the com.camerabits file and deleting PhotoMechanic from the application folder an re-installing the application.  Please excuse the PC jargon, I'm a PC guy trying to resolve my wife's Mac issues  ;)

I did not upload a screenshot since I felt it does not really display any relevant information. The application freezes and shows up as "not responding" in the Force Quit window.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic freezing on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »
Hi MLP!

I have the same experience and it looks like this is not a PM issue as I have this in other applications, too.
My MBPro was not upgraded to 10.9. I did a fresh re-install stating from scratch.

MBPro, early 2011

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »
I too have noticed this, and in more applications than PM. I have always contributed these delays to the disks going to sleep and having to spin up again. If I recall correctly, energy preservation is more aggressive in Mavericks so we notice this more now. But it could also be a bug (in part), of course.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:53:02 PM »
Hayo,
I have set my energy-stuff to not send the Disk(s) to sleep.

sven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:38:22 AM »
Hayo,
I have set my energy-stuff to not send the Disk(s) to sleep.

sven

Ah, hmm, then there must be something else at play here because I definitely notice this delay frequently when eg. opening folders.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline MLP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
Thank you for responding and giving me ideas on how to approach this problem. After digging some more, I noticed the same behavior in other application as well, most notably: Safari.

I currently going through the motions and installing a fresh copy of Mavericks

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
I have the same with a clean setup of Mavericks...