Author Topic: PM 5.0 on 64-bit Win7: can't open folders via right click/File Explorer  (Read 2058 times)

Offline ToastedSpider

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk and company...

Just installed the new release of PM (congrats on shipping!).  Was hoping that something that didn't work on my Win7/64 would be fixed:

If I'm in File Explorer, and right-click a folder, I was hoping that "open in Photo Mechanic" would now be in the context menu.

This was supposedly fixed was according to someone in TS I spoke with a few weeks ago, but maybe I'm just missing something here.

Not sure if this is a factor:  Prior to the install,  I used Win7 to uninstall my older version of PM (4.6.2), and my various prefs were nicely inherited by PM 5.0.  I'm currently running in demo mode (haven't found the "upgrade" option on the website yet - saw it there a few weeks ago...).

Many thanks!
Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 5.0 on 64-bit Win7: can't open folders via right click/File Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
Jerry,

The PMShellMenu is known not to work on x64 systems.  I'm working on a x64 solution.

-Kirk

Offline jafpix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 5.0 on 64-bit Win7: can't open folders via right click/File Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »
+1 for this feature please.

Offline ToastedSpider

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »
Thanks for the update, Kirk.  You need to let your TS folks know that; when I called a few weeks ago and asked about this they said that the installation issue for this was addressed with PM5 (dealing with how/where some of the DLLs were installed).

So, we're still in the land of registering a preferred file type (e.g. JPGs) to launch PM then...

Offline DaveTheC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:43:19 AM »
Thanks for the update, Kirk.  You need to let your TS folks know that; when I called a few weeks ago and asked about this they said that the installation issue for this was addressed with PM5 (dealing with how/where some of the DLLs were installed).

So, we're still in the land of registering a preferred file type (e.g. JPGs) to launch PM then...

A similar issue was reported for Win7-x64 and PM4X, and a workaround was posted using a registry addition.

See http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6532.msg39979#msg39979

I downloaded the REG file, opened with text editor, looked safe, and imported. Right click on FOlder, "Open in Photo Mechanic". Nice.

If it was a proper Shell Extension, which I assume is the PMShellMenu Kirk mentions, it might be a bit more sensible e.g. not offer the option if no images are there. But then, sometimes you want that. This fix is great for now.