Author Topic: Utilizing an extra monitor  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Juels

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Utilizing an extra monitor
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
I Have a 2 monitor setup on my Macbook and I would like to utilize the external monitor as an active zoom monitor while I am editing the IPTC e.g. using codereplacement to add rider information.

Situation: I preview the photo using the previewer, then click on the "EDIT IPTC INFO (I)" button to bring up the IPTC editor. I then move the IPTC editor to my Macbook monitor while leaving the previewer on the large external monitor.

I can move between photos using the IPTC editor but I am unable to zoom on the external editor as this window has lost focus to the IPTC window. To do this, I have to shut the IPTC editor and then activate the previewer and then zoom to find what I am looking for. Then go back into the IPTC editor to add the code.

I am aware of the zoom function on the IPTC editor, but this require to move the mouse to the photo and click/zoom to find what I am looking for - and the zoom is only to one predetermined level.. Most often the name tag are in the same part of the photos which means that I can have the external monitor zoomed to this point. It is only if I need to move the point to an area outside of the zoomed area that I would like to move focus to the previewer.

Not sure if there is an solution to this issue?

Cheers
Niels

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Utilizing an extra monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:58:21 AM »
Niels,

I Have a 2 monitor setup on my Macbook and I would like to utilize the external monitor as an active zoom monitor while I am editing the IPTC e.g. using codereplacement to add rider information.

Situation: I preview the photo using the previewer, then click on the "EDIT IPTC INFO (I)" button to bring up the IPTC editor. I then move the IPTC editor to my Macbook monitor while leaving the previewer on the large external monitor.

I can move between photos using the IPTC editor but I am unable to zoom on the external editor as this window has lost focus to the IPTC window. To do this, I have to shut the IPTC editor and then activate the previewer and then zoom to find what I am looking for. Then go back into the IPTC editor to add the code.

I am aware of the zoom function on the IPTC editor, but this require to move the mouse to the photo and click/zoom to find what I am looking for - and the zoom is only to one predetermined level.. Most often the name tag are in the same part of the photos which means that I can have the external monitor zoomed to this point. It is only if I need to move the point to an area outside of the zoomed area that I would like to move focus to the previewer.

Not sure if there is an solution to this issue?

The IPTC Dialogs are modal dialogs--you cannot interact with any other windows while they are being displayed.  The IPTC Info dialog's thumbnail preview's zoom capability can be operated by a keystroke.  On the Mac, the key equivalent is Ctrl-Z and on Windows it is Alt-Z.  Perhaps using the keyboard shortcut will help?

-Kirk

Offline Juels

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Utilizing an extra monitor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your reply. I have worked the keystroke [ctrl + z] into my workflow and it works OK. I have the second monitor prezoomed to a levelwhere I can find the BIB information. It's only when the BIB information is outside of the zoomed area that I need the ability to move the focus. Maybe this can be added to a later release?

Thanks again
Niels