Author Topic: Rename order during Ingest  (Read 3310 times)

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rename order during Ingest
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:51:29 AM »
I am having problems renaming files during Ingest.  The files are renamed, but in an unexpected order.

Let’s say we have a four image sports action sequence in this order:
ImageA (_dsc0022.jpg)
ImageB (_dsc0023.jpg)
ImageC (_dsc0024.jpg)
ImageD (_dsc0025.jpg)

If I rename with “MOTO{month}{day}{seqn}” during an Ingest operation, the final sequence order of my images gets messed up. The renamed files are sequenced by the “{seqn}” variable, but in a DIFFERENT order than the original files!  This makes it difficult to keep the images “together” in the original filename sequence.

In my case, the original four image sequence ImageA, ImageB, ImageC, ImageD was renamed into a sequence like
ImageA (_dsc0022.jpg) ->  MOTO122208.jpg
ImageB (_dsc0023.jpg) ->  MOTO122204.jpg
ImageC (_dsc0024.jpg) ->  MOTO122213.jpg
ImageD (_dsc0025.jpg) ->  MOTO122202.jpg

Notice the new MOTO1222xx.jpg files are not longer properly sequenced in any meaningful order. This makes it impossible to easily select the four files as a group for processing, copying, etc.  in the file system or in other image applications.

Feature Request:
When renaming files, I would like PM to process the files IN THE SAME ORDER they were originally shot in (this is what Adobe Bridge, IMatch, QImage, RenameIt, etc. do).
That way, a rename operation using a sequence variable will result in new filenames IN THE SAME ORDER as they were taken.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename order during Ingest
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:16:49 PM »
I am having problems renaming files during Ingest.  The files are renamed, but in an unexpected order.

I'll look into this when I get back from vacation.

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Re: Rename order during Ingest
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:19:46 AM »
I believe you need to sort your images by time, not by file name, first and then apply the renaming structure.  That should work.