Author Topic: Don't Delete wav file - Please  (Read 2466 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Don't Delete wav file - Please
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
I think I asked this a while back - I take voice notes - sometimes on a bad image but it has info for the group of images not just that one. When I delete that Image I loose my notes. Could you please add a setting to to allow leaving wav files when images are deleted?

Secondly - this came up after I restored a wav file - I can't play it from PM if it is not associated with an image. could that be changed?
Thanks
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Don't Delete wav file - Please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »
Joe,

I think I asked this a while back - I take voice notes - sometimes on a bad image but it has info for the group of images not just that one. When I delete that Image I loose my notes. Could you please add a setting to to allow leaving wav files when images are deleted?

We could add a preference for that, but the WAV file that remains would now be orphaned.

Secondly - this came up after I restored a wav file - I can't play it from PM if it is not associated with an image. could that be changed?

You'd need to rename the WAV file to match one of the other images in the Contact Sheet.  WAV files with the same base name as an image are associated with that image.  PM would have to make an educated guess and pick a 'nearby' image to rename it to and even if it did so it may not associate the WAV file with the image you would want it to.

One way we could make that easier is to allow you to select the orphaned WAV file and a single image and then right click on the WAV file and choose 'Re-associate to selected image' from the contextual menu.  Or something like that.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »

We could add a preference for that, but the WAV file that remains would now be orphaned.

I don't think Joe is interested in keeping a link to an image at all; I think he only cares about the .wav file.  At least that is what I read in his request, and is also what for me is the preferable solution (I currently have only one case where I have a WAV without an image, but in that case I really am only interested in the WAV as a recording, not connected to any particular image)

You'd need to rename the WAV file to match one of the other images in the Contact Sheet.  WAV files with the same base name as an image are associated with that image.  PM would have to make an educated guess and pick a 'nearby' image to rename it to and even if it did so it may not associate the WAV file with the image you would want it to.

One way we could make that easier is to allow you to select the orphaned WAV file and a single image and then right click on the WAV file and choose 'Re-associate to selected image' from the contextual menu.  Or something like that.

The whole purpose would be to NOT have it connected to an image, and allow playback then.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
I don't need it associated with a file BUT that would allow easier playback. but otherwise you got it!
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
I could see it being very useful to get an (optional) warning if I attempt to delete an image with an associated WAV.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/