Author Topic: DPI x PPI  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
DPI x PPI
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:05:21 AM »
Hi, Kirk
When I use the option "Save As" in PM I think the "standard" setting is 300 PPI whereas when I convert and save in Digital Photo Professional the "standard" setting for optimum quality is 350 DPI.  How do these two different settings relate to each other? Which would be the best way to convert and save a Canon raw file?
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DPI x PPI
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
Luiz,

When I use the option "Save As" in PM I think the "standard" setting is 300 PPI whereas when I convert and save in Digital Photo Professional the "standard" setting for optimum quality is 350 DPI.  How do these two different settings relate to each other? Which would be the best way to convert and save a Canon raw file?

PM is just setting the tag(s) (JPEG res units, TIFF res, Photoshop res) to the value you specify.  It's really just a hint to how high of resolution your image is.  Pixels are pixels.  If some other software wants to think of your image in some other units like inches or centimeters this value gives them some context.

This article is well written and explains the conceptual differences: http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/

You'll have to decide for your self though.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: DPI x PPI
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
Luiz,

PM is just setting the tag(s) (JPEG res units, TIFF res, Photoshop res) to the value you specify.  It's really just a hint to how high of resolution your image is.  Pixels are pixels.  If some other software wants to think of your image in some other units like inches or centimeters this value gives them some context.

This article is well written and explains the conceptual differences: http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/

You'll have to decide for your self though.

-Kirk

Kirk,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi