Author Topic: Possible of add crc32 to filename and question for search  (Read 3363 times)

Offline IngoThierack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Possible of add crc32 to filename and question for search
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »
Hello,

at the moment i'm not an owner of pm. But search for software like this.
I use now for the first step of copy a own written program, which calc an crc32 checksum, and add it to the filename.

filenames looks then like

IMG_0193~599a7343.CR2

the main reason behind it, is to get an unique filename, and the possibility to check the validity of the file.
md5 or shaXXX would be possible, but gives long filenames.

Is something like this possible or planned?

On question also is, todo the search.
I have keywords like

in on picture, and

GT 40

in another. When i search for 40 i get booth. Is it possible, to search only for hole keywords, so get only the pictures with the 40 keyword?

Regards
Ingo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Possible of add crc32 to filename and question for search
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
Ingo,

at the moment i'm not an owner of pm. But search for software like this.
I use now for the first step of copy a own written program, which calc an crc32 checksum, and add it to the filename.

filenames looks then like

IMG_0193~599a7343.CR2

the main reason behind it, is to get an unique filename, and the possibility to check the validity of the file.
md5 or shaXXX would be possible, but gives long filenames.

Is something like this possible or planned?

Calculating a CRC is fairly trivial, but it is compute and I/O expensive so it wouldn't be suitable for a variable.  Also, as you use PM, the CRC in your filename would become out of date.

On question also is, todo the search.
I have keywords like

in on picture, and

GT 40

in another. When i search for 40 i get booth. Is it possible, to search only for hole keywords, so get only the pictures with the 40 keyword?

The find only uses substring matches, and does not offer an exact match which is what you would need for your search to only find "40" and not "GT 40".

-Kirk

Offline IngoThierack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:50:27 AM »
thanks for the reply.

crc is only an convention by me, to get something real unique. Maybe current timestamp or so also possible.

But for search, there should be an solution. May be in the catalog extension the handling is better?
Tested different software, and they do only an substring search on the hole keywords :(

Ingo

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »
Hi Ingo,

I use the following filename convention for all my images:
{datesort}_{timesortlong}
The naming convention makes use of one of the powers of PhotoMechanic: variables (values taken from the metadata of the image itself). It results in files with names of e.g., 20131223_16452380 (if your camera includes milliseconds for the shooting time).

Unless you are shooting multiple cameras at the same time this should give you unique file names. The naming convention has the added benefit of showing you in a glance when a photo was taken.

Hope this helps,
Hayo

PS. If this is not unique enough, you could add another variable to the name to make it more unique, or rely on PM to automatically add a suffix to files with the same name. I actually add a short version of the camera name (using another PM feature: code replacements) to my files as I do shoot with multiple cameras.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl