Author Topic: Raw+ jpeg ranking  (Read 7057 times)

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Raw+ jpeg ranking
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
Hello,

I am using PM v469 to ingest/keyword and tag my raw+jpeg images from a Canon 5DMKIII and use an sidecar only workflow for raw images  IPTC/XMP data

I then index the images into IMATCH v5 catalog .

The structured keywords inputted into PM are recognized by IMATCH and trigger the automatic creation of structured categories for the images  .

My problem is with the ranking created in PM: only the jpegs indexed into IMATCH have their ranking recognized. The CR2s show no ranking .

I ran Exiftool and the following is shown for an image which has rank 5:

for the raw image :

-rating
-xmp:all
-G1

D:\Z_TEST~1\TEST03\131221~1\677_55\131221~1.CR2

-execute9999
[XMP-xmp]       Rating                          : 0

----------------------------------

for the jpeg image (which displays rank OK in Imatch )

-rating
-xmp:all
-G1

D:\Z_TEST~1\TEST03\131221~1\677_55\131221~1.JPG

-execute9999
[PhotoMechanic] Rating                          : 5
[XMP-x]         XMP Toolkit                     : XMP Core 4.1.1
[XMP-iptcCore]  Creator Work Email              : email: pierrew@happygraphy.com
[XMP-xmpRights] Marked                          : True
[XMP-xmpRights] Web Statement                   : http://www.happygraphy.com
[XMP-lr]        Hierarchical Subject            : type|private, event|wedding
[XMP-photoshop] Date Created                    : 2013:12:21 18:20:23+01:00
[XMP-dc]        Description                     : mariage Guylaine Pietjan
[XMP-dc]        Rights                          : copyright Pierre Wachholder
[XMP-photomech] Prefs                           : Tagged:1, ColorClass:0, Rating:5, FrameNum:003976
[XMP-photomech] PM Version                      : PM4

My preferences in PM are the following :

in Files section : add tag,color class... : Always for all photos

in IPTC/XMP section

writing jpeg ...: add embedded iptc4xmp

for tiff based raw: dont update embedded iptc ... even if it exists selected and Always create and/or update xmp sidecarfile ....

I append a zip containing an export of my PM preferences as well as the jpeg and xmp file (the raw is 64 mb ) .

Thanks in advance for letting me know if I do something wrong in my workflow and/or there is a fix for this .

Best ,

Pierre W

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Raw+ jpeg ranking
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »
Hello,

Feedback I received from Imatch:

"The CR2 file has a rating of 0 (unusual, but allowed). This overwrites the rating pulled in from the XMP because IMatch merges metadata when ingesting. It first pulls in the XMP and then this rating (2) is wiped out by the 0-rating in the CR2 file"

Is the O rating of the CR2 working as designed in PM or do I have something wrong in my Prefs config that causes that ?
Thanks in advance for your support
Best Pierre

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »
Hi Pierre,

Can you post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP preferences?

It looks like you are not embedding IPTC/XMP into the raw files. For Adobe software this is the recommended way (they use the XMP), but it looks like your catalogue software is expecting the data (also) in the raw file.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:52:28 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:24:34 AM »
Hello Hayo,

Thanks for your feedback .

I effectively use a xmp sidecar only workflow , no iptc/xmp  info is written to the raw file as chosen in the prefs  I asked  Imatch support which supports/favours  that kind of workflow, but the issue is with the raw containing a rating of 0 as of exiftool while the jpeg displays the rating chosen.
I tried and upload the same images into a LR CC catalog and the raw/jpeg combo  does show the rating correctly .
My question is whether PM and other apps have to sacrifice some kind of standard to make sure that the rating/color scheme xmp works ok with adobe self proclaimed standards , or if there is another issue .

I hope Camera Bits support will shade some light on this .

Best and happy new year

Pierre

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:25:19 AM »
Hello Mario,

I have just sent to you an email with an ftp link and some explanation on the zip content .

Best,

Pierre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »
Pierre,

Feedback I received from Imatch:

"The CR2 file has a rating of 0 (unusual, but allowed). This overwrites the rating pulled in from the XMP because IMatch merges metadata when ingesting. It first pulls in the XMP and then this rating (2) is wiped out by the 0-rating in the CR2 file"

Is the O rating of the CR2 working as designed in PM or do I have something wrong in my Prefs config that causes that ?
Thanks in advance for your support

The XMP sidecar file has a rating of 5:

<xap:Rating>5</xap:Rating>

You didn't supply your CR2 file so I can't look inside it to see if it has an embedded rating in it.  If it does indeed have embedded metadata in it and you have told PM not to embed metadata then either there is a bug in PM 4.6.9 or some other part of your workflow is putting it there.

PM 4.6.9 is no longer being developed.  If there is a bug and it is present in PM5 then it will be fixed in PM5.  At that point you'll have to upgrade to PM5 to get the fixed behavior.

-Kirk

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Thanks for the feedback .

May I ftp you a raw = jpeg straight from camera and after PM ingest/ranking and to which email ?

Best Pierre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Pierre,

May I ftp you a raw = jpeg straight from camera and after PM ingest/ranking and to which email ?

Sure.  I'll send you instructions in a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have just uploaded the PM_INGEST_RANKING_WACHHOLDER.zip file

The zip contains folders with the raw+jpeg straight from camera and other folders after PM ingest/ranking for either raw only  or raw+jpeg .

I have setup PM Files and IPTC/XMP preferences for a xmp sidecar workflow only .

Best, Pierre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:16:43 AM »
Pierre,

I have just uploaded the PM_INGEST_RANKING_WACHHOLDER.zip file

The zip contains folders with the raw+jpeg straight from camera and other folders after PM ingest/ranking for either raw only  or raw+jpeg .

I have setup PM Files and IPTC/XMP preferences for a xmp sidecar workflow only .

The RAW files in each of the five folders is absolutely identical.  PM 4.6.9 has not written to the CR2 file in any way.  I used "shasum" to generate checksums for the files and they're the same.  One byte out of place and the sums would differ.

The XMP sidecar file has been created in folder two and has an Adobe namespace rating of zero and a Photo Mechanic prefs string with the value "0:0:0:-00001"
The XMP sidecar file in the fifth folder has an Adobe namespace rating of 5 and a Photo Mechanic prefs string with the value "0:0:5:-00001"

To interpret the Photo Mechanic prefs string the field values are as follows:

Tag:Color Class index:Rating:Frame number

So both the Adobe rating and the PM rating in the sidecar file are both 5.

Now, Canon has been for a while embedding a small amount of XMP data in CR2 files generated in the camera and your original image does indeed have a rating embedded and it is zero.  But Photo Mechanic didn't put it there.  Your camera did.  Photo Mechanic did not update the value (it wouldn't anyway even if you told PM to embed XMP since PM would now embed all XMP fields and the embedded XMP would be far too small to update in place so a new XMP block would be added at the end of the file) so it still exists.

The IMatch folks need to interpret the XMP metadata in the sidecar file with priority over the XMP metadata contained within the CR2 file.  If IMatch did this, it would see the rating in the XMP sidecar file and would ignore the zero rating found in the CR2 file.

-Kirk

Offline PierreW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Many thanks for having taken the time to analyze the files and for detailed feedback which I am passing to Imatch now .

All the best to you and your team for 2014,

Pierre