Author Topic: Deleting files won't work/Trash permissions  (Read 2436 times)

Offline teutschmann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Deleting files won't work/Trash permissions
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
Hi there. I am having the same problem as these folks:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8244.msg39662#msg39662
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7957.msg37919#msg37919

Where I try to delete the photos, the thumbnail disappears in PM5, but does not disappear from Finder.

It sounds like it's something to do with Trash permissions, or something with my computer. Would anyone be willing to help me figure out how to change my Trash permissions or help me figure this out? I tried googling, but no dice. I'm guessing I wasn't using the right search terms (I'm still relatively new to the Mac world).

Thanks so much!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting files won't work/Trash permissions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
Hi there. I am having the same problem as these folks:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8244.msg39662#msg39662
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7957.msg37919#msg37919

Where I try to delete the photos, the thumbnail disappears in PM5, but does not disappear from Finder.

It sounds like it's something to do with Trash permissions, or something with my computer. Would anyone be willing to help me figure out how to change my Trash permissions or help me figure this out? I tried googling, but no dice. I'm guessing I wasn't using the right search terms (I'm still relatively new to the Mac world).

What build of PM5 are you running?

-Kirk

Offline teutschmann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »
Hi Kirk. Thanks for getting back to me.

15077 (39d4ee2).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
Hi Kirk. Thanks for getting back to me.

15077 (39d4ee2).

If the files are stored locally (the ones you're trying to Trash) and it doesn't work, I suggest running the DiskUtility and executing a Repair Disk Permissions on it.  See if that solves the problem.  If not then I suggest calling our tech support folks at +1 (503) 547-2888 for interactive support and troubleshooting.

-Kirk

Offline teutschmann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »
Will do. Thank you Kirk.

Offline teutschmann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:48:52 AM »
Ok. New development in the problem.

If I delete files from my Mac hard drive, they delete just fine. If I try to delete them from an external hard drive, they don't delete. That's when I have the problem discussed above.

Any suggestions for what to do at this point? I restored permissions like you suggested for my computer's hard drive, but it isn't an option to do it for my external hard drive. And I know I've used PM before to delete files off of a hard drive, including this particular hard drive.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
Ok. New development in the problem.

If I delete files from my Mac hard drive, they delete just fine. If I try to delete them from an external hard drive, they don't delete. That's when I have the problem discussed above.

Any suggestions for what to do at this point? I restored permissions like you suggested for my computer's hard drive, but it isn't an option to do it for my external hard drive. And I know I've used PM before to delete files off of a hard drive, including this particular hard drive.

What happens if you change your delete preference to delete the files immediately instead of moving to the Trash?  Does it work then?  (Just try it as a test.)

-Kirk