Author Topic: IPTC data transfer from Photo Mechanic 5 to Lightroom 5 fails  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Petychka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC data transfer from Photo Mechanic 5 to Lightroom 5 fails
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »
I have added IPTC metadata to a few hundred new photos using Photo Mechanic 5.0 by filling the fields in Stationery Pad (Image/IPTC Stationery Pad) and then applying the data to all the photos (shift/command-I). I've checked a few photos at random and all the data appears to have been inserted. So far so good.

Then, I imported the photos into Lightroom 5 by selecting my tagged photos in Photo Mechanic and, with my mouse, dragging and dropping them onto the Lightroom icon. Lightroom obliged and imported them.

I have now checked from Lightroom to see if the IPTC metadata have moved across with the photos by selecting one of the imported pictures and examining, in the frame to the right of the Lightroom screen, the data fields of Metadata (set to IPTC).

Except for the date the photo was taken, all the fields are empty. A wasteland. I've re-checked the fields in Photo Mechanic (clicked on the "i" on the photo thumbnails and my entries are still there.

My filetype is DNG + JPEG.

In Preferences, I have filled the following options chosen:

When writing IPTC/XMP - Add embedded IPTC
For TIFF_based RAS photos (non-DNG) allow RAW files to be modified, and Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file
Default IPTC coding: Mac Roman (Write IPTC as unicode is unchecked)
IPTC line endings: CR
When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the JPEG file
For JPEGs with multiple records: read/update the last one

Where have I gone wrong?

Many thanks.

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC data transfer from Photo Mechanic 5 to Lightroom 5 fails
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:29 AM »
Peter,

I have added IPTC metadata to a few hundred new photos using Photo Mechanic 5.0 by filling the fields in Stationery Pad (Image/IPTC Stationery Pad) and then applying the data to all the photos (shift/command-I). I've checked a few photos at random and all the data appears to have been inserted. So far so good.

Then, I imported the photos into Lightroom 5 by selecting my tagged photos in Photo Mechanic and, with my mouse, dragging and dropping them onto the Lightroom icon. Lightroom obliged and imported them.

I have now checked from Lightroom to see if the IPTC metadata have moved across with the photos by selecting one of the imported pictures and examining, in the frame to the right of the Lightroom screen, the data fields of Metadata (set to IPTC).

Except for the date the photo was taken, all the fields are empty. A wasteland. I've re-checked the fields in Photo Mechanic (clicked on the "i" on the photo thumbnails and my entries are still there.

My filetype is DNG + JPEG.

In Preferences, I have filled the following options chosen:

When writing IPTC/XMP - Add embedded IPTC
For TIFF_based RAS photos (non-DNG) allow RAW files to be modified, and Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file
Default IPTC coding: Mac Roman (Write IPTC as unicode is unchecked)
IPTC line endings: CR
When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the JPEG file
For JPEGs with multiple records: read/update the last one

Use the snapshot button (lightning bolt button) and choose the Adobe Lightroom setting.
Make sure you use the Metadata menu in LR to force it to read metadata from the images.  IPTC is on the way out.  Use XMP.  It is always Unicode.

-Kirk

Offline Petychka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
Dear Kirk,

Thank you for your quick response.

I'm sorry to be difficult or vague (probably both). I had used the snapshot button to choose the Adobe setting (though after I had made my first attempted import - I did a few). But I can't find the option in LR to force it to read metadata from the images. I can see "Read metadata from file" (but that can't be the right one) and the catalogue settings offers "Automatically write changes to XMP" (is that the one?). Could you tell me where it is? I'm using the current update of Lightroom 5.

Thank you again.

-Peter

Offline Petychka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
Dear Kirk,

I omitted to mention that I'm running Photo Mechanic version 5.0 (build 15077) and Lightroom 5 (5.3, Raw 8.3) on an iMac using OS X 10.9.1

Thank you again,

Peter

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:59:29 PM »
I can see "Read metadata from file" (but that can't be the right one) and the catalogue settings offers "Automatically write changes to XMP" (is that the one?). Could you tell me where it is? I'm using the current update of Lightroom 5.

Read metadata from file is the option you need to use if you've changed metadata outside Lightroom after you had already imported the images into Lightroom. If you've first applied the metadata before importing, then this option should not be necessary though...

Definitely also enable Automatically write changes to XMP as that allows programs outside Lightroom see the changes you made with Lightroom.

From your problem description it is as if Lightroom did not pick up the metadata in the .xmp files when you imported the images. Can you verify that indeed these .xmp files exist (use the Finder) and that they are located in the same folder as your images? If they are, then the only thing I can think of is that you inadvertently imported the images into Lightroom before applying metadata to them in PM. In this case the Read metadata from file should work for you.

Oh, and also check if any metadata changes you make in Lightroom are visible in PM as well. If this is not the case then either you have not set Automatically write changes to XMP or Lightroom is working on copies of your images, and not the images themselves...

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl