Author Topic: Renaming - contact keeps going back to the top!  (Read 12633 times)

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Renaming - contact keeps going back to the top!
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
Hi, when I rename an image, or multiple images in a contact sheet and hit OK or enter, the contact sheet goes back to the top of the sheet/images, meaning I have to scroll back down to access the next image/s I want to rename. Can I stop this happening? If I have hundreds of images in a contact sheet  its frustrating.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming - contact keeps going back to the top!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
Please read this post and provide as much information as you can: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4688.0

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 15077 on Windows 7x64

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 15077 on Windows 7x64

OK, and how are you renaming?  With the Rename dialog?  Renaming the thumbnails directly?

-Kirk

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
Ok, sorry if I wasn’t clear. I need to change the file names to include the subjects who are in the images and I want to do this using the code renaming function.

If I double click on the file-name under the thumbnail I can manually type in the new filename but it wont let me use the code replacement and I can only change one file at a time.

If I select one or more files then go 'File-Rename Photos' I can use the code replacements but as soon as I hit OK or the Enter key, the thumbnails jump back to the top.

This means that if you are renaming them in order you then have to scroll the page of thumbnails until you find where you were previously, but as soon as you hit ok or the enter key again you are straight back to the top!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
Ok, sorry if I wasn’t clear. I need to change the file names to include the subjects who are in the images and I want to do this using the code renaming function.

If I double click on the file-name under the thumbnail I can manually type in the new filename but it wont let me use the code replacement and I can only change one file at a time.

If I select one or more files then go 'File-Rename Photos' I can use the code replacements but as soon as I hit OK or the Enter key, the thumbnails jump back to the top.

This means that if you are renaming them in order you then have to scroll the page of thumbnails until you find where you were previously, but as soon as you hit ok or the enter key again you are straight back to the top!

OK, I'll have to look into that problem and see what I can do to fix it.  I have no workaround for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »
Ok, as an update it doesn't seem to go back to the top of the page of thumbnails every time, sometimes its ok and at other times it just scrolls the page enough so that the thumbnails I'm working on disappear leaving minimal scrolling.

I'm seeing that sometimes the renamed images are shifting in order. I have them displayed in capture time.

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
Same thing happens when I select a number of images and caption them the same ...others must be having this same issue.

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »
I'm still having this issue. Renaming or captioning a sequence of files seems to mess with the position of the thumbnails on screen. As soon as I hit entre my position within the thumbnails on screen shoots off and I have to hunt for my selected images again! Any suggestions to resolve this? Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »
I'm still having this issue. Renaming or captioning a sequence of files seems to mess with the position of the thumbnails on screen. As soon as I hit entre my position within the thumbnails on screen shoots off and I have to hunt for my selected images again! Any suggestions to resolve this? Thanks

No, not at this time.  And I'm not sure how to solve it either at this point.

-Kirk

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »
That's a shame...it's so frustrating when renaming/captioning large folders of images and is actually quite time consuming to keep trying to find where your are. Maybe a key shortcut or option to view the currently selected image or images?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »
I don't think I fully understand your issue (I'm quite sure I don't have it at least), but to get the selected images (only), you can press F2.

Hope this at least help you a bit with your issue.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline SCW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 03:09:28 PM »
Thanks

F2 selects only the selected images....I want all the images I just want to bring the selected image/s back into the window so that I can continue renaming/captioning  from where I was.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:07:25 PM »
I'm seeing that sometimes the renamed images are shifting in order. I have them displayed in capture time.

If you're sorting by Capture Time then renaming the files should not cause the order to change.  Unless your images don't have a capture time in them (and PM is falling back to using your image file's Modification Time).

What kind of images are you working with and in what ways have they been modified?

-Kirk