Author Topic: Unwanted redownloads  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unwanted redownloads
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0 Build 15077 and I run Mac OS X Version 10.9.1.   I have the following problem:

When I am downloading photos from a days shooting, it ends up downloading the entire contents of the card, despite the fact that I have “Increment Ingest:copy new photos only” checked.  It has happened multiple times and on two different computers with same version of operating system and Photo Mechanic.  Can you help me solve this problem.  It has resulted in up to 5 GB of duplicate photos being downloaded.  I continue using my cards after downloading until there are full.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unwanted redownloads
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:29 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0 Build 15077 and I run Mac OS X Version 10.9.1.   I have the following problem:

When I am downloading photos from a days shooting, it ends up downloading the entire contents of the card, despite the fact that I have “Increment Ingest:copy new photos only” checked.  It has happened multiple times and on two different computers with same version of operating system and Photo Mechanic.  Can you help me solve this problem.  It has resulted in up to 5 GB of duplicate photos being downloaded.  I continue using my cards after downloading until there are full.

Are your cards somehow write-protected?  PM requires the ability to put a small file (that it uses as an identifier) on the card so it can keep track of what it has downloaded previously.  If PM can't write its ID file then Incremental Ingest won't work.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:40 AM »
If PM can't write its ID file then Incremental Ingest won't work.

Hi Kirk!

What aboiut adding a (one time) notice if incremental ingest is selected but the ID file could not be written?

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
My cards are not write protected.  I have used the same cards in the past and they have worked without difficulty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »
My cards are not write protected.  I have used the same cards in the past and they have worked without difficulty

I suspect that if you were to format this particular card and start shooting again that the incremental ingest function would work properly again.

-Kirk

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:58 AM »
Have done that but it did not solve the problem.  It worked for the first redownloads then the problem returns.  It does not happen with just one card, it has happened with multiple cards and two different computers.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:14:04 AM »
OK. So do the cards in question have a ".pmingest.dat" file on them?  The Finder won't show files beginning with a '.' so you'll have to use the command-line Terminal application to check.  To do this you first open the Terminal application from your Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.  Then type:

ls -al (followed by a space)

And then from the Finder, drag and drop the camera card to the Terminal window and hit Enter/Return.  Does the file get listed?  If so, press the Up arrow and edit the line you just entered to read:

cat (path to your camera card supplied by the Finder)/.pmingest.dat (hit Enter/Return)

Now the contents of your card's .pmingest.dat file will be displayed and it should be a string of letters/numbers/hyphens surrounded by { and } like so:

{0ADED4FE-01AD-6647-83B3-81F078CC6ED9}

Make note of that value and look in PM's cache for a file with that name.  By default, your PM cache will be in the following location: <your home folder>/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/

Once you find the PM cache, look into the "ingest/incremental/" folder for a file with the name you noted earlier.  Back in the Terminal type:

cat (followed by a space)

And drag and drop that file from the Finder onto your Terminal window.  Then hit Enter/Return.  The list of files previously copied will be listed in the window.  Does it seem reasonable given the contents of your card?  Or is nothing listed?  Or the data file doesn't exist?

Once you do the above and can answer some of these questions, we can proceed with solutions that may involve me adding logging code to the Incremental Ingest feature and giving you a special build of PM to test with.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:40:43 PM by Kirk Baker »