Author Topic: Thumbnail creation in Contact Sheet never completes  (Read 1989 times)

Offline MaxReger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbnail creation in Contact Sheet never completes
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
Running PM version 5.0 Build 15077 under Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Have ingested several thousand camera files from various cameras since acquiring PM. Am having a problem with 2 recent ingests, in that the ingest is working just fine, the JPG's are moved into the correct folders, renamed to my preferred file naming convention, and Windows creates thumbnails in the new folders.

For the one particular folder with which I am having trouble, PM creates thumbnails in the Contact Sheet for file 53 to 203, but never completes the thumbnail creation of files 01 to 52. The program is NOT hung. In fact, it quite happily chugs away consuming disk IOs as well as CPU cycles for days if I let it. There are no MOV files or Raw's in this particular folder, only JPG's. For the unfinished thumbnails, double clicking on the image does not bring it up either, however, the image is in the folder, and Windows can view it just fine. The camera meta data is there and appears to be correct, but there is no image.

Hope the attachment helps. Thanks! Marcus

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnail creation in Contact Sheet never completes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
Max,

Running PM version 5.0 Build 15077 under Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Have ingested several thousand camera files from various cameras since acquiring PM. Am having a problem with 2 recent ingests, in that the ingest is working just fine, the JPG's are moved into the correct folders, renamed to my preferred file naming convention, and Windows creates thumbnails in the new folders.

For the one particular folder with which I am having trouble, PM creates thumbnails in the Contact Sheet for file 53 to 203, but never completes the thumbnail creation of files 01 to 52. The program is NOT hung. In fact, it quite happily chugs away consuming disk IOs as well as CPU cycles for days if I let it. There are no MOV files or Raw's in this particular folder, only JPG's. For the unfinished thumbnails, double clicking on the image does not bring it up either, however, the image is in the folder, and Windows can view it just fine. The camera meta data is there and appears to be correct, but there is no image.

Hope the attachment helps. Thanks! Marcus

Can you share one of your images that PM fails to render?

-Kirk

Offline MaxReger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
Sorry, I should have thought of that!! I've attached the last unrendered one just before the first rendered one in the PDF I sent earlier. Hope that makes sense - the filename should give it away

Thanks! Marcus

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »
Sorry, I should have thought of that!! I've attached the last unrendered one just before the first rendered one in the PDF I sent earlier. Hope that makes sense - the filename should give it away

Marcus,

Are you saying that you cannot view this image 20120611_Misc_0052.jpg in PM?

It shows up just fine for me (but I am on a Mac - shouldn't make any difference anyway for a JPEG).

This sounds like more of an ingest issue perhaps?

--dennis

Offline MaxReger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
Yes, Dennis, that is correct. PM does not display it. I can view the jpeg from within any old viewer in Windows, and the thumbnails are all there in the file folder as well. The ingest completed successfully. I have several thousand jpegs from a variety of cameras going back over the years. This particular set came from a camera which I've just recently ingested a couple of years worth of data from. Only this ingest and one other are giving me grief.

Marcus

Offline MaxReger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »
Kirk & co. You guys are genius's! The latest build 15277 fixed this problem and then some. The contact sheet creation/refresh is blindingly fast now.

Thank you!! Marcus