Author Topic: Archive Location (Finding)  (Read 4055 times)

Offline BKPhotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kennedy Photography
Archive Location (Finding)
« on: December 31, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »
I have searched the FAQs and discussion board(s), and have not found an answer to the following.

Is there a way for PhotoMechanic to automatically show the location of a file once it has been archived and removed from the internal HDD?

I archive all images onto external HDDs. I need to be able to search by keyword or category and find a specific photo. I do this with the photos on the internal HDD without a problem. However, (or example) if I have a shot of a ball player from last season and get a call for it, it would save a lot of time locating the specific image if there is someway to have PhotoMechanic point to (list) the archive disc.

Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro (Tiger 10.4)
and Win XP
PhotoMechanic 4.4.3.3

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: Archive Location (Finding)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:30:17 PM »
I have never found a way to make PM into a Digital Asset Management tool, but I have started playing iwth iMatch (www.photools.com).  It creates a database of thumbnails, IPTC keywords and a TON of other stuff that seems to make pulling up archives work effectively.  You can specify a location for the images and then tell iMatch where the *new* location is when you move the directory (say, from a local drive to a USB drive to a DVD disc.).  Nice interface.  Seems pretty flexible.

I have only been working with it for about two days, but the documentation seems through (55-page tutorial + online help).  For $59.95, it is not a huge investment.  Free 30-day trial.

If anyone has other tools that they use for DAM, it would be nice to have some other opinions/suggestions.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Archive Location (Finding)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 03:10:10 PM »
I have searched the FAQs and discussion board(s), and have not found an answer to the following.

Is there a way for PhotoMechanic to automatically show the location of a file once it has been archived and removed from the internal HDD?

I archive all images onto external HDDs. I need to be able to search by keyword or category and find a specific photo. I do this with the photos on the internal HDD without a problem. However, (or example) if I have a shot of a ball player from last season and get a call for it, it would save a lot of time locating the specific image if there is someway to have PhotoMechanic point to (list) the archive disc.

Photo Mechanic is not yet a Digital Asset Management application so it keeps no record of photos that you may have archived onto removable media.

I think that currently most Mac folks use iView Media Pro to do DAM.

HTH,

-Kirk