Author Topic: Integrating with DxO Optics Pro 9  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Integrating with DxO Optics Pro 9
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
Is there any way to set PM up to integrate with DxO in any way? DxO doesn't seem to read any XMP sidecar metadata on import - has anyone found a way around this? For some of my lower-paying jobs, I'm thinking of using some of DxO's automated processing tools to push a shoot through quickly while maintaining quality, but I'd like to be able to continue using PM to somehow flag "keepers" (for speed). The only option I've thought of is having PM move the keepers to a subfolder and processing in DxO from there, but I'd like to avoid that if possible (primarily for organizational reasons - don't really want to split JPGs from their corresponding RAW files, etc).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Integrating with DxO Optics Pro 9
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
After more experimenting, the best methodology I've come up with is copying the keepers to a subfolder and processing in DxO from there. I can then move DxO's sidecar (.dop) files back to the main folder and delete the subfolder when I'm done with processing. If anybody has any better options they've figured out, I'd still love to hear them. I guess that using something like the Open Directly In plugin for Lightroom might also work, but I'm looking to skip the Lightroom step completely for these jobs.

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:41:54 AM »
Hi,
I am not sure how you have set up your DXo. For me it works this way: I select files in PM and then select = edit selected files in DXO9.
Then DXO opens and , yes, it shows all the files in the folder, but the selected files are highlighted and if you use the arrows in the preview it will only scroll through the selected files.
HTH
-Søren

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
Søren - thanks, that was very helpful!

I had not actually ever set PM up to edit photos in any particular application, since I had always relied on metadata when going from PM to Lightroom or Aperture (the latter in a not-ideal way). I hunted around in Preferences and found the area to set up the Edit functionality within PM, and it does work as you described.

I do wish that DxO had the ability to hide unselected images in its browser - I have a feeling it will be all-too-easy to mistakenly select a file outside the set that was sent from PM and ruin the whole process. Still, it's nice to know that it's an option, and that it does work.

Rick

Offline Gingerbiggles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »
Having just started to integrate PM with DXO in my workflow,  I have also noticed what Soren says "Then DXO opens and, yes, it shows all the files in the folder, but the selected files are highlighted and if you use the arrows in the preview it will only scroll through the selected files." However, If I then star or colour rate the selected files, I can then filter the non-rated files to disappear into the background.
Hope that helps.
Steve

Offline elliot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:50 PM »
I, too, use DxO.  I use the copy files method.  I don't bother copying the dop files back, I just keep the keepers folder.  Perhaps I delete the non-keepers.

I'm working on a slightly more complicated flow.  My problem is that my concert photos may suffer from harsh lighting and I can't picture in my mind what the photo will look like after processing.  So, I do a batch edit in DxO of all photos, dumping them into maybe TIFF or jpeg.  Then I sort through them in PM.  I'll need a script to then back-annotate the star ratings to the originals, and I continue the editing.  It's a work in progress.

I had completely dumped Lightroom, even before DxO.  I did everything in Bridge/Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop.  Now I'm trying to integrate both DxO and PM.  Still trying to work it all out.

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:05:54 AM »
I'm using PM and DxO on a Mac - my way is:

- first I have an project in DXO to put in the to developing pictures
- drag&drop the selected pictures from PM to the (running) DXO-Icon on the Dock - the dragged pictures are now visible inside the DXO project and can developed
- the DxO .dop sidecar files will be written to the place of the dropped pictures, while we are working in this case with file references

A handy tool for collect and drop the selected pictures from PM to DxO is "Yoink" (http://eternalstorms.at/yoink/Yoink_-_Draggings_a_drag_no_more/Yoink_-_Draggings_a_drag_no_more!.html)

Uwe