Author Topic: PM kills my Photoshop settings...  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Magnus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM kills my Photoshop settings...
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:24:58 PM »
I use Photo Mechanic to view, tag, color-class and code-replacement to tag my photos (cr2-raw files)

When I select some photos i PM and open them in Photoshop Camera Raw and adjust, crop and delete the bad ones and press done.

Befor I export the photos from Camera Raw I need to write captions, IPTC-data or just change af color-class.

But if I do it (I think) PM overwrite the XMP side-care file and ALL my Photoshop settings and adjustment and I have to edit my raw-files again.

What can I do, if I need to fx. change color-class without losing my Photoshop settings in the XMP-file or where Photoshop save my settings?

I use the latest version of Photoshop

/Magnus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM kills my Photoshop settings...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
Magnus,

I use Photo Mechanic to view, tag, color-class and code-replacement to tag my photos (cr2-raw files)

When I select some photos i PM and open them in Photoshop Camera Raw and adjust, crop and delete the bad ones and press done.

Befor I export the photos from Camera Raw I need to write captions, IPTC-data or just change af color-class.

But if I do it (I think) PM overwrite the XMP side-care file and ALL my Photoshop settings and adjustment and I have to edit my raw-files again.

What can I do, if I need to fx. change color-class without losing my Photoshop settings in the XMP-file or where Photoshop save my settings?

Which version of Photo Mechanic are you using?  Are you telling PM to work with XMP sidecar files, or are you telling PM to embed XMP into your RAW files?

I'd like to see your settings.  Go to the Preferences dialog in PM and select the IPTC/XMP section of the prefs.  Take a screen shot and post a JPEG (not any other file format please) here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Magnus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
I use Photo Mechanic 5.0

Im not sure but I think I have solve the problem but I dont now what I have changes in the IPTC-settings but you can maybe tell me.

/Magnus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
Magnus,

In the lower right area of the IPTC/XMP preferences next to the "Restore Defaults" button, there is a small button with a lightning bolt on it.  Choose the menu item [Adobe products] and PM will now be set to work best with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

Please let me know if the problem persists after making my suggested change.

-Kirk