Author Topic: Accidentally downloaded a CF card twice  (Read 13816 times)

Offline Harvey Levine

• View Profile
Accidentally downloaded a CF card twice
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic build 15277 and I run Mac OS X 10.9.1 on my Intel-based Mac.

Is the a way to sort out the duplicates and delete them?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Accidentally downloaded a CF card twice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Harvey,

I am running Photo Mechanic build 15277 and I run Mac OS X 10.9.1 on my Intel-based Mac.

Is the a way to sort out the duplicates and delete them?

No automated way, no.

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
There is an app for that !  ;D
probably many.

8) -Søren

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
If you ingested the same card twice, then depending on your rename options and PM duplicate handling, your duplicate files will likely have the letter A appended, or perhaps a number.  It isn't too difficult to select and delete all of those from the command-line. Or, you could create a custom sort in PM, sorting on the last character of the filename. But if this has happened only once, and the number of files isn't too big, doing the culling by hand is probably the quickest  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
Greetings,

To further explain Hayo Baan: If you haven't done any custom renaming that could result in variable characters in the filename, you can create a custom sort method with the options set as I've done in the image attached.  This will push all of the duplicates to the bottom of the contact sheet, making them capable of being range selected.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:57:20 AM by Brandon »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:23:28 AM »
Greetings,

To further explain Hayo Baan: If you haven't done any custom renaming that could result in variable characters in the filename, you can create a custom sort method with the options set as I've done in the image attached.  This will push all of the duplicates to the bottom of the contact sheet, making them capable of being range selected.

Hi, Brandon
Thanks for the invaluable tip.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline msbc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
Both Lightroom and Aperture provide import options to not download duplicates i.e. the same file twice. Seems a basic feature that PM is missing.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »
Both Lightroom and Aperture provide import options to not download duplicates i.e. the same file twice. Seems a basic feature that PM is missing.

Incremental Ingest performs that function and has done so for years.  But one has to enable the feature.

It isn't a missing feature.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »
You can also use the FIND command in contact sheet to easily select and delete duplicates.

Just search for A.jpg
 (if your duplicating string is Append letter, set in Preferences/Files tab, and obviously if your normal filenames out of camera are along the lines of standard xxx_1111.jpg). You can still check visually if they are really duplicates and just delete them. It's a bit harder to check when you have Append numbers instead of letters, because in a simple search for e.g. 01.jpg both DSC_1001.jpg and DSC_100101.jpg would show up in results. Perhaps there is a workaround for that, but I don't know about it (does FIND dialog allow variables and truncating variables like {fnm4:x,y}?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
Frantisek,

You can also use the FIND command in contact sheet to easily select and delete duplicates.

Just search for A.jpg
 (if your duplicating string is Append letter, set in Preferences/Files tab, and obviously if your normal filenames out of camera are along the lines of standard xxx_1111.jpg). You can still check visually if they are really duplicates and just delete them. It's a bit harder to check when you have Append numbers instead of letters, because in a simple search for e.g. 01.jpg both DSC_1001.jpg and DSC_100101.jpg would show up in results. Perhaps there is a workaround for that, but I don't know about it (does FIND dialog allow variables and truncating variables like {fnm4:x,y}?

Yes, variables should be evaluated in the Find and the Find/Replace panels.  If they don't work correctly, I would want to fix that problem.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I just tried FIND using variables (it's been a long time since I messed with variables substraction, since I have all my most used var strings set up long time ago), on a set of DSCF2027.JPG and DSCF2027A.JPG

{fnm4}A.jpg - no results.
{filenamebase:0, -1}A.jpg - no results.
{filenamebase:0,8}A.jpg - no results.
Find dialog set to In Filenames, and I tried both Any and All of the words.

Am I doing something wrong with the specific variables I am using? As I wrote, my memory on variables and substraction is a bit faded :)

PM 5 15277, OS X 10.9.1

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »
Frantisek,

I just tried FIND using variables (it's been a long time since I messed with variables substraction, since I have all my most used var strings set up long time ago), on a set of DSCF2027.JPG and DSCF2027A.JPG

{fnm4}A.jpg - no results.
{filenamebase:0, -1}A.jpg - no results.
{filenamebase:0,8}A.jpg - no results.
Find dialog set to In Filenames, and I tried both Any and All of the words.

Am I doing something wrong with the specific variables I am using? As I wrote, my memory on variables and substraction is a bit faded :)

PM 5 15277, OS X 10.9.1

No, that looks fine.  I'll look into it and get back to you tomorrow.

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 02:17:59 AM »
No, that looks fine.  I'll look into it and get back to you tomorrow.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but...

Kirk, can you remember if there was an outcome to this?

I tried using 'Find: Any of the words: {filenamebase:0,-1}A' in the Find dialogue and it didn't work. (This variable may actually be wrong, but...)

My workaround was to simply find "A.cr2" which worked as I hoped (so I set up a snapshot using "A.cr2 B.cr2 C.cr2" to find multiple duplicates in the future), but this is obviously dependent on the file extension.

This got my tiny mind working and I thought that PM is more elegant than this, it really should work. So rather than actually do some real work on a Sunday morning  :), I did some further experimentation and research which ultimately lead me to this old forgotten thread.

Should it be possible to use variables in 'Find...' to select duplicate files of any file type (and consequently aid very quick & easy deletion)?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:28:01 AM by Tony Hall »

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »
Use GraphicConverter who find duplicate pictures even if they have different names and locations.
I tried once with demo.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »
There is a clever workaround for this described by our Tech lead in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGr_sriTp94

It involves sizing your thumbnails so that the duplicates are all in columns,then it is easy to select the columns.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits