Author Topic: Need some visual feedback during delete operations  (Read 4810 times)

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Need some visual feedback during delete operations
« on: December 31, 2006, 02:31:09 PM »
In the Preview window, if you press the DEL key while an image is selected, it works fine and it does delete the file, but there is NO visual feedback that a delete is in progress, no busy/wait cursor, no visual cues that I could see....    so, because I couldn't  tell if I actually pressed the DEL key hard enough to register, I pressed it again... and then again.  When the screen finally updated, I had mistakenly deleted a few 'extra' files I did not intend to delete.

Can the mouse cursor be changed to provide a visual cue that some work is being done?
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Need some visual feedback during delete operations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »
In the Preview window, if you press the DEL key while an image is selected, it works fine and it does delete the file, but there is NO visual feedback that a delete is in progress, no busy/wait cursor, no visual cues that I could see....    so, because I couldn't  tell if I actually pressed the DEL key hard enough to register, I pressed it again... and then again.  When the screen finally updated, I had mistakenly deleted a few 'extra' files I did not intend to delete.

Can the mouse cursor be changed to provide a visual cue that some work is being done?

Deleting a photo takes at most one second.  One could easily miss any cursor feedback with such a short duration.

If you enable the Delete nag dialog (the one that verifies that you really want to delete a file) then you'll know when you have pressed the Delete key and that a delete operation is about to happen.  You will also get a chance to cancel the delete.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:20:42 PM »
In my case, the photos are on a NAS box (my laptop drive is not big enough to store my photo archive) and the process of deleting a file, retrieving the next one and previewing it can often take more than one second... sometimes 5-10 seconds when other users are accessing the file server machine (depends on load).

PM is a fast application, but the photo data is not always local and not always quick to access.

I realize users with fast machines might not notice short cursor feedback, but for us with limited hardware or network latency, it would be very useful.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:49:57 AM »
In my case, the photos are on a NAS box (my laptop drive is not big enough to store my photo archive) and the process of deleting a file, retrieving the next one and previewing it can often take more than one second... sometimes 5-10 seconds when other users are accessing the file server machine (depends on load).

PM is a fast application, but the photo data is not always local and not always quick to access.

I realize users with fast machines might not notice short cursor feedback, but for us with limited hardware or network latency, it would be very useful.

I see.  Well I would rather add a status text area at the bottom of the preview window that would display "Deleting {filename}..." and when it was complete it would change to "Deleted {filename}."

I still think that in your case you should enable the nag dialog that verifies that you want to delete.

-Kirk

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:25:57 AM »
I tried the delete nag dialog, but it requires extra keyboard and mouse actions and interrupts the work flow.

I just need some visual cue.  A message in the status area would work fine.

Thanks.

Offline VictorBoyko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »
Kirk, the jjlists123 is right.
This has much more sense when one is viewing images on an external hard drive which (after a timeout of inactivity) has fallen asleep and after hitting a delete kay it can take about 10 seconds while it wakes up, at this moment a user has no idea if he has missed the delete key or not.

Offline rpruden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »
Not to get too much into workflow, but here is my two cents since I also use remote storage: the Delete nag window is a real saver.  You can just press the Enter key when it appears to confirm it - no mouse clicks necessary.  Once I used it for a contact sheet, it became second nature and kept me from deleting images that I didn't mean to.  You can turn it on or off easily enough through the preferences depending whether or not you are using NAS drives or a sleepy external HDD.

RP