Author Topic: Star ratings on RAW files not showing in Bridge  (Read 7343 times)

Offline tamsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star ratings on RAW files not showing in Bridge
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
Okay, using PM to cull images and the star ratings are not showing up on any of my Bridge files. However, if I convert the RAW file to a DNG, and then go through the exact same routine, the star ratings WILL show up in bridge. I've read and Googled and searched and come up with nothing! Please HELP!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star ratings on RAW files not showing in Bridge
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
Okay, using PM to cull images and the star ratings are not showing up on any of my Bridge files. However, if I convert the RAW file to a DNG, and then go through the exact same routine, the star ratings WILL show up in bridge. I've read and Googled and searched and come up with nothing! Please HELP!

Are you using an XMP sidecar workflow for your RAW files?  Adobe's software works best with XMP sidecar files.  Embedding XMP confuses Adobe's applications.

-Kirk

Offline tamsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
I'm not sure- but wow, thanks for the super quick reply! How do I know what I'm using? Cause I'm slow with this stuff... Screenshots work best for me ;)

Offline tamsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »
Also, just wanted to add that I don't have this issue with my old camera (Nikon D700). CS4 was able to read those RAW files, and when I made my star ratings in PM, I can see the ratings.
With my new camera (Nikon DF), CS4 can no longer read the RAW files, which shouldn't be a big deal, because I can cull in PhotoMechanic. But for some reason, it's just the ratings not following through on those images. When those same RAW files are changed to DNG's and starred, suddenly I can see the ratings showing up in Bridge CS4.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
Also, just wanted to add that I don't have this issue with my old camera (Nikon D700). CS4 was able to read those RAW files, and when I made my star ratings in PM, I can see the ratings.
With my new camera (Nikon DF), CS4 can no longer read the RAW files, which shouldn't be a big deal, because I can cull in PhotoMechanic. But for some reason, it's just the ratings not following through on those images. When those same RAW files are changed to DNG's and starred, suddenly I can see the ratings showing up in Bridge CS4.

In the IPTC/XMP section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog there is a button with a little lighting bolt on it.  You can use the snapshots there to set your settings.  There are Adobe-compatible settings in that list.  I'd suggest using one of them.  If that still doesn't fix the problem then I'd like to see one of your files if you're willing to share it with me.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
Kirk  : "In the IPTC/XMP section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog there is a button with a little lighting bolt on it.  You can use the snapshots there to set your settings."

I don't have that ! (Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15277 (0ebcc6a))
Why ?

Best regards
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:52:25 PM »
Kirk  : "In the IPTC/XMP section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog there is a button with a little lighting bolt on it.  You can use the snapshots there to set your settings."

I don't have that ! (Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15277 (0ebcc6a))

It should be there.  Bottom right area.  If not, post a screen shot (JPEG only please) so I can see what you're seeing.

-Kirk

Offline tamsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:36:13 AM »
I have the latest build and I do see the little lightning bolt. I set it for Adobe products.
I think my problem has to do with Bridge CS4 not being able to read these new RAW files from a new camera- not to do with PM at this point.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I have it, never used !
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator