Author Topic: PM 5 rendering slowly  (Read 2005 times)

Offline chrisison

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 5 rendering slowly
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Hi;
Sorry if this is a repeat question but I can't find a relevant answer to my problem.
PM5 takes a very long time to render large previews. It freezes as it renders, which can take 20 seconds per image. Sometimes it seems to render several images (about 4) as a batch, then other times it does it singly.
I have recently updated from PM4 when this was never an issue.
I'm using the same cameras (Canon 1dx, 1dmk4) and shooting raw, rarely jpg.
I have a brand new macbook pro retina (one week old) running mavericks. 2.8 intel i7, 16GB ram, intel iris graphics.
I also have an older desktop pro running OSX 10.7.5, dual core 2.66 intel xeon, 5gb memory. NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB graphics. The problem is identical on both machines.
PM5 build 15277 (0ebcc6a).
I have tried upping the cache but this doesn't seem to have improved things.
Thanks for any assistance.
Chris.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 5 rendering slowly
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
Sorry if this is a repeat question but I can't find a relevant answer to my problem.
PM5 takes a very long time to render large previews. It freezes as it renders, which can take 20 seconds per image. Sometimes it seems to render several images (about 4) as a batch, then other times it does it singly.
I have recently updated from PM4 when this was never an issue.
I'm using the same cameras (Canon 1dx, 1dmk4) and shooting raw, rarely jpg.
I have a brand new macbook pro retina (one week old) running mavericks. 2.8 intel i7, 16GB ram, intel iris graphics.
I also have an older desktop pro running OSX 10.7.5, dual core 2.66 intel xeon, 5gb memory. NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB graphics. The problem is identical on both machines.
PM5 build 15277 (0ebcc6a).
I have tried upping the cache but this doesn't seem to have improved things.
Thanks for any assistance.

Are you telling PM to render RAW files?  Rendering RAW files for previews and thumbnails is very slow.

-Kirk

Offline chrisison

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 03:39:38 AM »
Hi Kirk;
If you mean is 'Enable RAW Rendering' ticked in the RAW page of the preferences, yes it is.
I appreciate the amount of information that is being processed BUT I never experienced the same delays in PM4.
Thanks again;
C

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:16:28 AM »
If you mean is 'Enable RAW Rendering' ticked in the RAW page of the preferences, yes it is.
I appreciate the amount of information that is being processed BUT I never experienced the same delays in PM4.

There are indeed differences between PM4 and PM5.  PM5 is optimized for Retina displays and will generate thumbnails and previews that are four times larger than PM4 would generate.  PM5 generates previews and thumbnails from JPEG data up to four times faster than PM4 could.

But if you've told PM5 to not only enable RAW rendering but also to render the RAW files instead of using the embedded JPEG Previews for speed then you're going to experience much slower rendering times.

Also, more Memory Cache is not always better.  I suggest you use no more than 512 MB for the Memory Cache.

-Kirk

Offline chrisison

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:22:51 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I get it now. All sorted!