Author Topic: Updates  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
Updates
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:31:21 AM »
Help please,

I was offered free update to V5 Build 15277 (presently at V5 Build 15077), made several attempts but receive this message each time after the .exe has installed and run has been selected -

"The installed version of the application could not be determined. The set up will now terminate"

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:12:09 AM »
Dave,

I was offered free update to V5 Build 15277 (presently at V5 Build 15077), made several attempts but receive this message each time after the .exe has installed and run has been selected -

"The installed version of the application could not be determined. The set up will now terminate"

Which choice are you choosing in the installer?

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:29:35 AM »
Kirk, firstly I chose Run then tried Save but same result in each case.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »
That sounds like a problem with your browser.  You're not actually getting the installer to run at all?  You don't see a familiar-looking installer dialog with Camera Bits branding in it?

-Kirk

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »
I am having same issue.  A file downloads when PM auto-checks offers to get it -- but it won't open under Win7.  Says it is not a 32-bit file.   Looking closely, I see the file has 0 bytes.   

jan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
Jan,

I am having same issue.  A file downloads when PM auto-checks offers to get it -- but it won't open under Win7.  Says it is not a 32-bit file.   Looking closely, I see the file has 0 bytes.   

Sounds like either your browser is failing to download the file, or your virus checker is getting in the way.

-Kirk

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re-install worked!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
I re-downloaded, and noticed I had two files downloading at the same time, painfully slow.  Cancelled both out, deleted the prior 0 byte file, and successfully re-downloaded and installed.   Computers are just weird, lol...

And Kirk, you are the best.  I don't know how you have a life and stay so close to these forums, but I honestly feel like you are just sitting in the living room waiting for me to ask a question!

jan

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
I have this file downloaded 'PM5 SetupR15277 Application 44,613KB'

I open it and see 'PM5 Install Shield Wizard' which starts and then the message as per my original post appears.

Not sure where my browser comes into it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I have this file downloaded 'PM5 SetupR15277 Application 44,613KB'

I open it and see 'PM5 Install Shield Wizard' which starts and then the message as per my original post appears.

Not sure where my browser comes into it.

Sorry.  It sounded to me like you were having problems downloading the installer.  I suggest uninstalling followed by an install.

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »
Kirk, thanks for your help, seems I should have worked it out before bothering you as it was a Windows anomaly.

The problem was yet another of a long list since updating to Windows 8.1. It was necessary to right click the set up file and select run as admin, the installer then ran perfectly.
I didn't think of this earlier as other updates were not a problem in Win7 or 8.0.

regards, appreciate you fast responses.

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »
I had the same problem, installer starts then the message comes up. Running as administrator solves it. Perhaps chaneg the text of this dialogue and include "Try running as administrator." ?