Author Topic: WIN and MAC platform find/search functionality and compatability ?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Hello;

I am using PM 4.6.9.  I work with both windows and MAC platform.

I noticed that if I keyword images in windows platform, then copy images to a drive and place on MAC machine, the search "keyword" does not find the keywords - only some images, not all.

If I redo the keywords on MAC, the search works OK.

Perhaps I am doing something incorrectly ?

Thank you,   WilloW

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: WIN and MAC platform find/search functionality and compatability ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:25 AM »
Hello;

I noticed that if I keyword images in windows platform, then copy images to a drive and place on MAC machine, the search "keyword" does not find the keywords - only some images, not all.

Thank you,   WilloW

Hi,
PM's Find/Search uses Mac OS search funcionalities, which are different from Windows' ones. I don't know if this is the explanation behind the problem you encounter.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »
Hello;

It sounds like Spotlight isn't indexing the drive you connected to your Mac until you make changes to the files.  Spotlight is an Apple-only technology.  Photo Mechanic on the Mac uses Spotlight for the implementation of the Search panel but it's effectiveness is limited by Spotlight's indexing capabilities.  You'll have to find a way to get Spotlight to index the entire drive.  Spotlight also works best with metadata embedded in JPEGs and does not index XMP sidecar files properly (it thinks they're just a simple text file).

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply and explanation.

it's a pity that it's not readily possible to have search functionality that works in both MAC and WIN systems.  Redoing metadata because of an incompatability between MAC and WIN is out of the question.

Indexing in MAC works very well, but WIN is opretty much useless...

Cheers,   WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply and explanation.

it's a pity that it's not readily possible to have search functionality that works in both MAC and WIN systems.  Redoing metadata because of an incompatability between MAC and WIN is out of the question.

Indexing in MAC works very well, but WIN is opretty much useless...

I never suggested that you redo your metadata at all.  Your files are fine.  Spotlight needs to be forced to index the existing files as they are.  You would do this outside of Photo Mechanic.

The Windows version of Photo Mechanic does not offer the Search panel that the Mac version offers.  In that case you can use the Find panel in Windows, but you need to know which folder your potential images are located in and open that folder as a contact sheet.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Thank you Kirk.  I misunderstood you earlier - I now understand.   Cheers,   WilloW