Author Topic: Show all colour coded only, select one and revert to ALL with selected in centre  (Read 11208 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Kirk,

This has been raised as a suggestion before. That is to "Show all colour coded only, select one and revert to ALL images with the selected one in the centre of the screen".

My problem is that at a competition I will take around 2500 to 3000 images of anything up to 50 or 60 judo contests a day. At the end of the day I then have to send around 30 to 50 images to my agency within nanoseconds of the event finishing - I am exaggerating but only a little. 

To do that I select a broad collection of up to about 120 images with one colour code and show only those colour coded images on the screen. I then choose the 40 or so that I need to fully caption, crop and finish with a single star or second colour and this is where the problem starts.

Each picture is usually of 2 judoka taken at any time during the day from 9am to 7pm or later. To identify who they are for the caption I have to go back to the original contest sequence to see the names on the scoreboard/clock. However, with PM it is not easy to do this without having to scroll through the whole day's contact sheet to find the single highlighted image.

If I use Phase One Media Pro it is dead simple. I select the picture I want to caption in the collection of circa 40 images, select view all and I am immediately taken back to the original sequence with the single selected colour coded image in the middle of the screen. It could not be easier.

Is this a feature that could be implemented in Photo Mechanic in the future? If it could be it would be a great time saver.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

This has been raised as a suggestion before. That is to "Show all colour coded only, select one and revert to ALL images with the selected one in the centre of the screen".

My problem is that at a competition I will take around 2500 to 3000 images of anything up to 50 or 60 judo contests a day. At the end of the day I then have to send around 30 to 50 images to my agency within nanoseconds of the event finishing - I am exaggerating but only a little. 

To do that I select a broad collection of up to about 120 images with one colour code and show only those colour coded images on the screen. I then choose the 40 or so that I need to fully caption, crop and finish with a single star or second colour and this is where the problem starts.

Each picture is usually of 2 judoka taken at any time during the day from 9am to 7pm or later. To identify who they are for the caption I have to go back to the original contest sequence to see the names on the scoreboard/clock. However, with PM it is not easy to do this without having to scroll through the whole day's contact sheet to find the single highlighted image.

If I use Phase One Media Pro it is dead simple. I select the picture I want to caption in the collection of circa 40 images, select view all and I am immediately taken back to the original sequence with the single selected colour coded image in the middle of the screen. It could not be easier.

Is this a feature that could be implemented in Photo Mechanic in the future? If it could be it would be a great time saver.

Pressing an arrow key (and then the opposite arrow key) with one image selected should make the selected image visible.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
I am using Windows 7 and have just tried that without it seeming to work.

Pressing the arrow key immediately moves the selection to the next image or further. I have also tried it with Control key and Alt key but it doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

I am using Windows 7 and have just tried that without it seeming to work.

Pressing the arrow key immediately moves the selection to the next image or further. I have also tried it with Control key and Alt key but it doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have only tried it on my Mac so far but I'll try it on my Windows PC after lunch and see what it does.  If it doesn't scroll to make the selection visible, I will make it do so.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Brilliant! Thanks Kirk for the quick response and hopefully I have made it clear what is needed.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

What I suggested to you works fine for me on Windows.  Press the right arrow key and then press the left arrow key.  The selected single image is made visible on screen.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Hi, Kirk
Thanks for the invaluable tip.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Kirk,

Unfortunately, this is not working for me. When I press the arrow key the selection moves to the next image or further before I can press the left arrow key.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

1) I have 2500 images
2) I quickly select 100 images from across the day with a single colour code and show those together as one contact sheet by clicking on the bottom right colour code box.
3) From the 100 images I select the best 40 images which are saved as a second colour code and then need to caption them before cropping and finishing.
4) To caption the images properly I have to go back to the original image sequences in place in the 2500 contact sheet by un-ticking the bottom right colour code box to find the names on the scoreboard.
5) Currently to do that it is really time consuming to find the single selected one that is now shown in the 2500 images. And to do that for up to 40 images is painfully slow.

Hopefully this is a little clearer or have I got something very wrong?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

It's as clear to me as it was the first time you explained it.  What I need to know is how many images you have selected when you last interact with the color class filter widget?  Is the answer "one" or "more than one"?  If it is "one" then by pressing the right arrow key your selection should move from the one selected image to the next image in the contact sheet (it should now be visible on screen) then when you press the left arrow key you will be back on your originally selected image.  And I have verified that this does indeed work in the Windows version as well as the Mac version.

Now what it is sounding like is you still want your color classed images to be sorted together and this can only be accomplished by changing your sort popup menu to a Color Class sort.  Then your one image will be among the other images with the same color class.

Is that correct?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Kirk, hopefully the attached screen grabs will help.

The first shows 85 images colour coded and selected from 2013 total images for that day with the bottom right colour code box unchecked. The image that is highlighted is the one where, as an example, I want to go back to the original string of images in the full contact sheet to establish the names of the judoka and the weight category.

Ideally, if I now check the bottom right box the selected image would revert to its original position in the contact sheet as the attached second screen grab so that I can quickly ascertain the two judoka's surnames, weight category and final score. However, that does not happen and it is necessary to scroll through hundreds of images to locate the selected image and the required information.

Hopefully, this helps a bit.  If I am missing something then please tell me.

David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kirk, hopefully the attached screen grabs will help.

The first shows 85 images colour coded and selected from 2013 total images for that day with the bottom right colour code box unchecked. The image that is highlighted is the one where, as an example, I want to go back to the original string of images in the full contact sheet to establish the names of the judoka and the weight category.

Ideally, if I now check the bottom right box the selected image would revert to its original position in the contact sheet as the attached second screen grab so that I can quickly ascertain the two judoka's surnames, weight category and final score. However, that does not happen and it is necessary to scroll through hundreds of images to locate the selected image and the required information.

Hopefully, this helps a bit.  If I am missing something then please tell me.

I understand that ideally it would do what you're looking for.  What I am trying to provide you is a workaround for the problem you're having right now and wishing to solve with a feature request.  Have you tried doing what I have told you (press the right arrow key then press left arrow key)?  If doing that doesn't make your single selected image come into view, then I'd like a screen shot of that.

I may add a feature where it makes your single selection visible after a color filter change, but I'm not sure when I would add that feature.  The workaround should eliminate all of the scrolling around searching for the selected image in the meantime.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Thanks Kirk.

I have tried that and all that happens is the selection goes to the next right image, which is what it should do. If I then press the left arrow it goes back as expected but it doesn't jump back to the full contact sheet at all.

I am using a keyboard with an English layout if that is what is preventing me from using your workaround.

I can give you a screenshot if you want but all that is happening is the selection goes from one image to the next and then back again which is what you would expect the arrow key to do unless the action is combined with another key.

I have also tried a second keyboard to see if that will work differently but it does not. Both are Microsoft keyboards.

Let me me know what you think.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

I have tried that and all that happens is the selection goes to the next right image, which is what it should do. If I then press the left arrow it goes back as expected but it doesn't jump back to the full contact sheet at all.

I am using a keyboard with an English layout if that is what is preventing me from using your workaround.

I can give you a screenshot if you want but all that is happening is the selection goes from one image to the next and then back again which is what you would expect the arrow key to do unless the action is combined with another key.

I have also tried a second keyboard to see if that will work differently but it does not. Both are Microsoft keyboards.

The keyboard isn't the problem.  I also use an USA-English Microsoft keyboard on my Windows 7 system.

I'd like a screen shot of what your screen looks like after you change your color class filter and then press the right arrow key followed by the left arrow key.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Kirk, the workaround now appears to be operational following your last post.

I had been using the left and right arrows while in the filtered mode. Removing the filter mode and then using the right and left arrow keys does now place the selected image back in its correct position amongst the ALL unfiltered contact sheet.

I now have a workaround that is working!

Thanks for spending your time on this Kirk. I think it would be nice to have this as a proper function if it can be built into a future update. It will save me and, I am sure lots of others who work in a similar way a lot of previously wasted time.

Setting this up with the F5 key would be absolutely perfect.

Thanks again.
David

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Kirk,

In the latest build there appears to be a replacement method to the workaround discussed in this posting.

When I gather together all the colour coded or tagged images, say 100 out of 1000, in a contact sheet then select one and hit the F1 key twice the selected image is then taken back to its original position in the fully opened contact sheet.

I presume this is an intentional improvement and must say that it is ideal.

Thanks to you and the PM team.
David