Author Topic: NIK U point plugins for PhotoMechanic?  (Read 4570 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
NIK U point plugins for PhotoMechanic?
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
Kirk,

With Nikon removing the U point controls in Capture NX2 and downgrading it to Capture NX D, is there anyway that Camerabits could engineer PM5 to accept the NIK plugins?

I love CNX2 with the simplicity of its licenced U point technology and its speed and really do not want to move to Lightroom and its DNG image files adding more complexity in my work flow.

With all the frustration going on on the Nikonians website I think you would have the perfect converter for the NEF. Could it be considered?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: NIK U point plugins for PhotoMechanic?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »
David,

Some problems.  One is that our focus for the foreseeable future is on cataloging.  Two would be that what would happen when the plugins would have some sort of incompatibility with an OS revision?  The answer is that we would have no way to fix it since we wouldn't have access to the source code to make any needed patches.

Lastly, RAW conversion is no simple task and that would have to be accomplished before any plugins would have access to the image data.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

Obviously more complicated than I thought.

David

Offline RogueMD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »
I use all the NIK "plug ins" directly from PM5, and Viveza does what U-Point does. I appreciate that it works on TIFF and JPEG's but you can't use raw files without first converting. You just need to run each plug in as a Program Editor. I loaded them all and pick and choose. Each one launches and saves just fine.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:19:22 AM »
After CNX2 I chose CaptureOne, no regrets !

I edit a RAW and ask C1 "edit with" Viveza which have U-points. Viveza open, and when I finish with it, I obtain  a tif near the Raw in C1.
Same with all Nik Collection.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator