Author Topic: Crop and sizing not working correctly  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Crop and sizing not working correctly
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
Okay issue #2 for the night. I am setting my crop to constrain 8x12 @ 300dpi. I'm getting files that are 13 3/4 x 9 1/8 wen opened in CS. I also have the set to limit 1.5 megs but all my uploads are coming up WAY over that. Up to 3.4 meg.  I really have no clue why this isn't working.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop and sizing not working correctly
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
Okay issue #2 for the night. I am setting my crop to constrain 8x12 @ 300dpi. I'm getting files that are 13 3/4 x 9 1/8 wen opened in CS. I also have the set to limit 1.5 megs but all my uploads are coming up WAY over that. Up to 3.4 meg.  I really have no clue why this isn't working.

Please post a screen shot of your settings.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
Kirk I'll do that but it would appear that when PM5 installed it seriously 'broke' 4.6.9 as I can't FTP out of the old version. Hitting the send button does nothing and when I try to u/l to photoshelter from 4.6.9 now I get a mile long error msg pointing to ruby folders.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »
Is this what you need?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »
Try lowering minimum quality slider; that's the one causing the larger files. PM won't generate files of worse quality than that, even if the file size is too big. You can even set it to 0 as PM will then generate the highest possible quality while still retaining the file size limit you specified!

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
Okay I'll try that to see if it fixes the file size... any idea why it won't constrain the crops though?

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:28:28 PM »
Nope..... Moving the slider to Zero setting the file size limit to 1.9 meg cropping to 8x12 @ 300 dpi resulted in a file that was 960kb  1442 x 962

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »
Just to make sure I wasn't going nuts I opened the file in CS. Cropped it 8x12 @ 300dpi and saved it at level 9. Got a perfect 1.9meg file. So the math is doable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
Eric,

You're not telling PM to scale to inches.  You're telling it to scale to 100% of the cropped size.  Try changing the scaling to the middle choice (change the popup to inches afterwards) and then set the inches at 12 (your largest dimension).  Set the JPEG quality to 0, and limit to 1.9 MB.

As for your 4.6.9 issue, we have PM 4.6.x and PM 5 residing on the same systems all the time with no issues (though I haven't specifically tried the Photoshelter uploader).  The Photoshelter folks have taken over development of the Photoshelter uploader template so you'd have to take up the issue with them.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:36 AM »
Kirk that fixed the cropping issue! Thank you!!! :)

The uploading is broken for both the standard FTP (I hit send but nothing happens) as well as the PS upload which gives back a huge error.  I'm going to spend the day working with PM5 to make sure that there aren't any other 'issues' before I go live with it tomorrow. Friday is a potential Ivy League title game so I don't have the luxury of not being able to file from the venue. Without 4.6.9 as a backup I have to make sure that everything in 5 is I would need/expect it to work.

Thanks again!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »
Eric,

Kirk that fixed the cropping issue! Thank you!!! :)

The uploading is broken for both the standard FTP (I hit send but nothing happens) as well as the PS upload which gives back a huge error.  I'm going to spend the day working with PM5 to make sure that there aren't any other 'issues' before I go live with it tomorrow. Friday is a potential Ivy League title game so I don't have the luxury of not being able to file from the venue. Without 4.6.9 as a backup I have to make sure that everything in 5 is I would need/expect it to work.

Thanks again!

If I had to guess what is going wrong is that the settings files (they're the only thing that is shared between the two versions) are incompatible and once they're updated by PM5, PM 4.6.9 is having trouble loading them.

Removing the connection settings files and then re-creating them in PM 4.6.9 should resolve the problem (if my hunch is right) and as long as you stick with PM 4.6.x, the problem won't return.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
Thanks I'll look into that.... but in reality this is working 100% now so I may not need to revert to 4.6.9  :)