Author Topic: Lightroom 5.3 writing duplicate keywords to PM  (Read 3743 times)

Offline mamer2005

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lightroom 5.3 writing duplicate keywords to PM
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
I am keywording from a structured keyword list in Photo Mechanic 5. In Lightroom, I get the notice that 'metadata was changed externally'. I select 'import settings from disk' and everything looks correct. When I go back to Photo Mechanic, The keywords have been duplicated with a bar separator. Why are the keywords being duplicated?

My PM5 settings are attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom 5.3 writing duplicate keywords to PM
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
I am keywording from a structured keyword list in Photo Mechanic 5. In Lightroom, I get the notice that 'metadata was changed externally'. I select 'import settings from disk' and everything looks correct. When I go back to Photo Mechanic, The keywords have been duplicated with a bar separator. Why are the keywords being duplicated?

My PM5 settings are attached

I can't tell without a sample XMP sidecar file (or a JPEG with embedded XMP) to look at.  Can you provide one?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »
In the meantime, you should probably set the checkbox that puts structured keywords in the hierarchical keywords only to see if that helps.  Otherwise, PM would certainly write them in both the Keywords and the hierarchical Keywords fields.

-Kirk

Offline mamer2005

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »
Kirk,

I tried the checkbox you mentioned but there was no change. An XMP sidecar is attached for your review.

JM

Offline mamer2005

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
Upon further review, I've found that Lightroom stores keywords with the hierarchy preserved in the “lr:HierarchicalSubject” field.  It uses the Dublin Core Scheme to store flattened keywords in the “dc:subject” field.

Both seem to be required in order for the keywords to show up in different software. Is there a way to make Photo Mechanic only read either the "dc:subject" field or the “lr:HierarchicalSubject” field or will I need to keep the duplicate keywords in PM?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:07:52 PM by mamer2005 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Upon further review, I've found that Lightroom stores keywords with the hierarchy preserved in the “lr:HierarchicalSubject” field.  It uses the Dublin Core Scheme to store flattened keywords in the “dc:subject” field.

Both seem to be required in order for the keywords to show up in different software. Is there a way to make Photo Mechanic only read either the "dc:subject" field or the “lr:HierarchicalSubject” field or will I need to keep the duplicate keywords in PM?

You'll have to keep the duplicate keywords.  If we didn't show both sets then you wouldn't see all of the keywords.

You can check to see if LR has an option to not put its hierarchical keywords in both places.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:20:44 PM by Kirk Baker »