Author Topic: 2nd drive info  (Read 4527 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
2nd drive info
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »
I ingest to a second drive - would it be possible to have edit info (color codes, stars & crops and caption) to be put on the drive also.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: 2nd drive info
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
Nope, that is not possible (with PM). I use a second ingest location as well, but treat those as an absolute original, never to be touched again. I have been thinking about synchronising the metadata though (but decided against it). The solution that I figured would work makes use of exiftool to copy the metadata of one file to the other. In the exiftool manual there are some samples that you can work with to do this.

Before you do this, of course, heavily test your solution of course  ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:29 AM »
Nope, that is not possible (with PM). I use a second ingest location as well, but treat those as an absolute original, never to be touched again. I have been thinking about synchronising the metadata though (but decided against it). The solution that I figured would work makes use of exiftool to copy the metadata of one file to the other. In the exiftool manual there are some samples that you can work with to do this.

Before you do this, of course, heavily test your solution of course  ;)

Hi, Hayo
I myself use a secong ingest location too and I use that script you once mentioned (rsync) with Terminal. It works pretty well and it is really fast (as long as you don't change the filename afterwards).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »
If you adopt a XMP sidecar workflow, you could just use a simple script to copy over the XMP sidecar files to the second ingest location, or even an Automator action (if on OS X).

That would actually be preferable form backup point of view, since you are not touching the second location RAW files in any way at all.