Author Topic: Can't view photoshop PSD files  (Read 6661 times)

Offline munchydoan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't view photoshop PSD files
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »
I just reinstalled Windows XP and have the latest PM version 4.4.3.1. PM won't recognize a folder full of PSD files now. No thumbnails, no nothing. I can open the folder in explorer and drag files into Photoshop no problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't view photoshop PSD files
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:55 PM »
I just reinstalled Windows XP and have the latest PM version 4.4.3.1. PM won't recognize a folder full of PSD files now. No thumbnails, no nothing. I can open the folder in explorer and drag files into Photoshop no problem.

You must have had QuickTime previously installed.  You'll also have to reinstall QuickTime then.

-Kirk

Offline munchydoan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
Fantastic. That did the job. Thanks!

Offline Giles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
Kirk,

I've just recently noticed that Photo Mechanic's contact sheet view is not displaying some of my PSD's, but unfortunately a re-install of QuickTime did not solve my problem.

Initially the file's thumbnail is displayed but then quickly reverts back to a banner that displays "The layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image".  I've double checked my preferences in Photoshop and confirmed that "Maximize PSD compatibility" is set to always.  I've re-saved a couple of files to help ensure this is the case.

I'm using V4.4.3.3 under Windows XP SP2.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:23:54 PM »
Kirk,

I've just recently noticed that Photo Mechanic's contact sheet view is not displaying some of my PSD's, but unfortunately a re-install of QuickTime did not solve my problem.

Initially the file's thumbnail is displayed but then quickly reverts back to a banner that displays "The layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image".  I've double checked my preferences in Photoshop and confirmed that "Maximize PSD compatibility" is set to always.  I've re-saved a couple of files to help ensure this is the case.

I'm using V4.4.3.3 under Windows XP SP2.

Did re-saving the files that weren't working fix the issue?  Have you tried saving to a new filename?  It may be that the cache contains the old representation and is continuing to show it.

-Kirk

Offline Giles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:26:24 PM »
Have you tried saving to a new filename?  It may be that the cache contains the old representation and is continuing to show it.

Re-saving to a different filename 'fixed' my issue - the contact sheet is now displaying the re-saved PSDs properly. 

Does this mean I'll have to re-save each of my PSDs who's thumbnails are not being displayed?  To the best of my knowledge, I've always had Photoshop's maximize PSD compatibility enabled.  Does this indicate otherwise?  Not looking forward to going through each and every PSD, but if it's my bad, I'll get busy correcting this...

Giles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 02:01:41 PM »
Have you tried saving to a new filename?  It may be that the cache contains the old representation and is continuing to show it.

Re-saving to a different filename 'fixed' my issue - the contact sheet is now displaying the re-saved PSDs properly. 

Does this mean I'll have to re-save each of my PSDs who's thumbnails are not being displayed?  To the best of my knowledge, I've always had Photoshop's maximize PSD compatibility enabled.  Does this indicate otherwise?  Not looking forward to going through each and every PSD, but if it's my bad, I'll get busy correcting this...

Try setting Photo Mechanic's Cache (Preferences->Caching) to empty on quit.  Then quit Photo Mechanic.  Relaunch Photo Mechanic and browse those files again and see if the problem is fixed.

HTH,

-Kirk