Author Topic: PM and Capture One with NEF  (Read 14913 times)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
PM and Capture One with NEF
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
Hi

I begin work with C1 to replace NX2.
I do not want xmp files.

So I ingest NEF,  apply localisation and only one keyword with PM.
Then I make a jpg with Capture One ; and I see good localization but twice the keyword.
I return to PM, all is fine for my jpg, localization and only an unique keyword.

So I hope I am ready for cataloging with PM, I do not ask when !!!

Is somebody able to explain while keyword twice ?
(I am afraid trying hierarchical keywords…)

Best regards
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Capture One with NEF
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "localisation"?  Could you please explain further?

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
Soizic probably means GPS coordinates.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:19:52 AM »
No, sorry, I have not GPS.

I mean : town, country, state…
Soizic (France)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:31:35 AM »
Soizic,

So I ingest NEF,  apply localisation and only one keyword with PM.
Then I make a jpg with Capture One ; and I see good localization but twice the keyword.
I return to PM, all is fine for my jpg, localization and only an unique keyword.

So I hope I am ready for cataloging with PM, I do not ask when !!!

Is somebody able to explain while keyword twice ?

At this point, I'd have to see one of your JPEG files so I can look at its metadata.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:11:09 AM »
I think  Capture One make a mistake. I look at a picture with PM and LR : keywords are same in each software :
     Architecture, bâtiment, intérieur

Capture One shows twice :

Kirk I don't worry you, I will answer PhaseOne.

Thanks

Soizic (France)

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
I have been having a very similar problem with PM and Capture One. I will get entire sets of keywords that repeat, and in one case the entire set repeated 17 times! I have gone back and forth with Capture One and have not been able to resolve this issue. It is driving us crazy. The multiple keywords will be shown repeating in Capture One. They will then only show one set of keywords on the exported jpegs when viewed with PM and will show the repeating keyword sets when viewed in Photoshop. Sometimes images which have had color tags applied will duplicate the keywords while an image without a color label will not duplicate the keywords. Any help or advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

THANKS!
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
Andy,

I have been having a very similar problem with PM and Capture One. I will get entire sets of keywords that repeat, and in one case the entire set repeated 17 times! I have gone back and forth with Capture One and have not been able to resolve this issue. It is driving us crazy. The multiple keywords will be shown repeating in Capture One. They will then only show one set of keywords on the exported jpegs when viewed with PM and will show the repeating keyword sets when viewed in Photoshop. Sometimes images which have had color tags applied will duplicate the keywords while an image without a color label will not duplicate the keywords. Any help or advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

If you want to provide me with a sample image (and any XMP sidecar files) to investigate, I'd be happy to look into it for you.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample file(s).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you very much for looking into this for me, I really appreciate it! I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15451 (86b6bbe), and Mac OS X 10.7.5, the processor is 2 X 3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon w/ 48 GB Ram. Capture One is version 7.2.1 Build 32 (aeb4a3b). I am attaching a sample image, and have others, but most of the files are larger than the maximum allowed. If I sized them down in photoshop could that change anything with the metadata? I wasn't sure if that might change anything. Thank you for looking into this for me!

Andy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 06:09:02 AM »
I am also attaching screen captures showing the Capture One metadata panel and my settings in PM.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:08 AM »
Andy,

The same few keywords are repeated over and over again until finally one of them, "professor" is cut off as "profe".  PM always removes redundant keywords on display so PM shows the keywords as "academics, classroom, faculty, ian helfant, lawrence hall, professor, russian and eurasian studies, fun, profe".  The last keyword is not the same as "professor" so it is included.  If PM were to update the metadata, it would remove the redundant keywords (I just tried it and it was reduced to the displayed set of keywords, including "profe".)

The file was created by C1 (I see it in their creator tag) so I think the problem lies with it and not Photo Mechanic.  It may be that having multiple sources of metadata (embedded IPTC, embedded XMP, and sidecar XMP) is causing problems for C1.  You could always try going with a pure XMP-sidecar workflow in PM and see if that helps things.  PM still offers to embed IPTC but it is an all but dead metadata format now that XMP is well-established.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you so much for looking into this for us! If I were to try going with a pure XMP-sidecar workflow in PM, could you please tell me what settings I would need to change in the Photo Mechanic panel(s), and what boxes should be checked in the C1 metadata panel? I am not sure if the C1 settings should then have both boxes checked or only the "Prefer Sidecar XMP over Embedded Metadata" box. Thank you again for your time and help with this!

Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:59:59 AM »
Andy,

Use the snapshot menu (lightning bolt) to load the Adobe Lightroom settings.  They're XMP-sidecar only.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:22 PM »
No more problem for me. I think perhaps  update C1-PRO 7.2.1 resolved that, I am not sure.
Best regards
Soizic (France)

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 05:34:30 AM »
Thank you for your post, Soizic! Could you please tell me how you have your preferences set in the Metadata panel of Capture One? What are your settings for Auto Sync Sidecar File? And what boxes do you have checked or unchecked below that? I am still trying to resolve this issue, so if you are able to let me know about that it would be a huge help. Thank you!