Author Topic: Importing preferences from v5 to v4  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Importing preferences from v5 to v4
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to import preferences from a Win 7 64 bit computer running PM v5 build 15277 to a Win XP 32bit computer running PM v4.6.9

I need this as I will be temporarily running the lower spec machine in place of the higher spec machine, which is going away for repair.

I exported all preferences to a file on the Win7 PM v5 computer and imported all on the WinXP PM v4 computer. This seemed successful but none of the snapshots are available on the PM v4 installation.

Is this a limitation that cannot be overcome or should this be possible? If it can't be done in one action, as above, is there a means to drag and drop the snapshots across, one by one?

Thanks,

Joel.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Importing preferences from v5 to v4
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Joel,

I'm trying to import preferences from a Win 7 64 bit computer running PM v5 build 15277 to a Win XP 32bit computer running PM v4.6.9

I need this as I will be temporarily running the lower spec machine in place of the higher spec machine, which is going away for repair.

I exported all preferences to a file on the Win7 PM v5 computer and imported all on the WinXP PM v4 computer. This seemed successful but none of the snapshots are available on the PM v4 installation.

Is this a limitation that cannot be overcome or should this be possible? If it can't be done in one action, as above, is there a means to drag and drop the snapshots across, one by one?

While I have never tried exporting prefs on a PM5 system to a PM4 system, I think it should all work, including snapshots if they were selected to export (and selected to import on the PM4 system.)

If it isn't working, you can simply hold down the Shift key while you select one of your snapshots in any of the dialogs that have snapshots and the .snap file will be revealed in a Windows Explorer window.  If you then navigate up one folder from there, you should now be in the PM prefs folder and you could then copy the snapshot folders to the other system's prefs folder.

-Kirk

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Re: Importing preferences from v5 to v4
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »
Hi Kirk,
I can confirm that all items were selected for export and import but that the snapshots were not successfully carried across.
Your workaround worked perfectly though, thanks :)
Joel.