Author Topic: Transfer images between folders; however, xmp data left in original folder ??  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Hello;

I am using V5.

When I move images between folders (outside PM using copy/paste/drag) I notice that IPTC data (keywords and the like) are not transferred along with the images.  The .XMP files are left in the original folder.

In the older version of PM I didn't seem to have this happen - perhaps there is something I can set up in preferences to allow the .xmp files to always remain with the images ??

Would be better to have add embeded metadata checked ?

I've attached my preferences.

Thank you,   WilloW

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:35:24 AM by Willow »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
When I move images between folders (outside PM using copy/paste/drag) I notice that IPTC data (keywords and the like) are not transferred along with the images.  The .XMP files are left in the original folder.

In the older version of PM I didn't seem to have this happen - perhaps there is something I can set up in preferences to allow the .xmp files to always remain with the images ??

Would be better to have add embeded metadata checked ?

You mention two ways of moving your files (copy/paste and drag-and-drop).  In the case of selecting files for your copy/paste operation, how are you selecting your files?  If you're selecting them outside of PM, why aren't you selecting the XMP files as well when you do the copy/paste operation?

In the case of drag and drop, what is the source of your drag and drop operation?  Is it outside of PM?

If you're moving files around, why not use the Copy dialog in PM, but with the "Move" option checked?  The RAW files and all attached files (XMP sidecars, WAV files, etc.) will be moved (and optionally renamed if you want) to the destination.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Hello Kirk

Thank you for your reply.

Usually I do use PM to move files; however, on some occasions I select files and transfer or copy them to specific folders outside of PM.  I guess I am a little lazy sometimes in not using PM to do this function.

Perhaps a better question for me to have asked is the difference between embedding metadata and creating/changing sidecar files.

Looking through several folders of images I note some have .xml files and some do not.

If you embed the IPTC/XML date what is the benefit of a sidecar file ?

It would seem beneficial and easier if sidecar files were not selected within the preference tab and all data was embedded.  This way you don't end up with hundreds of .xml files.

I hope you maybe able to guide me towards a decision governing sidecar .xml files verses embedded data.

Thank you,   WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
To guide you, I need to know what other software you use in your workflow.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Hello Kirk

PhotoShop CS5 for post processing
PM 5 for editing, searching, keywords, etc.
I do not use bridge

Best,  WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
PhotoShop CS5 for post processing
PM 5 for editing, searching, keywords, etc.
I do not use bridge

Then I recommend an XMP sidecar-only workflow for your RAW files (don't embed anything).   Adobe's software are going to create XMP sidecar files whether you like them or not, unless you convert your RAW files to DNG files.  Then you won't have to deal with XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Hi Kirk

Ah this would explain why I have xml files in some folders and not others.

As I process a few images from one folder (but not all) CS5 creates an xml sidecar file, but those images no processed have no side car xml files.

Is there a way for PM V5 to not see xmls when you are looking at the images in the editor?

Obviously, if you use xml files its best to use PM to copy/move files between folders as PM will ensure the sidecar xml files are copied with the image file.

Cheers,   WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ah this would explain why I have xml files in some folders and not others.

As I process a few images from one folder (but not all) CS5 creates an xml sidecar file, but those images no processed have no side car xml files.

Is there a way for PM V5 to not see xmls when you are looking at the images in the editor?

Obviously, if you use xml files its best to use PM to copy/move files between folders as PM will ensure the sidecar xml files are copied with the image file.

PM will always see XMP sidecar files, though it will honor your preference for the priority order you have chosen when reading metadata.  So if you tell PM to read embedded XMP first and sidecar XMP last, it will do exactly that.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Hi Kirk

Yes this makes sense.  The further I delve into PM the more I notice it does.

Thank you so much for clarifying my initial queries and providing some help. 

Judging for m the number of people who have read this thread, I'm sure others are more informed now also.    Best,   WilloW