Author Topic: Upload by FTP and rename file and transref question  (Read 2826 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Upload by FTP and rename file and transref question
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
os x mavericks
pm V5 build 15277

Hi,
apologies for the rambling question, but here it is:
To upload an image to an FTP server one would of course use the File Uploader window.
The Operations area in that window has options to:
Apply IPTC stationary pad
and
Rename As

I'm assuming that PM will first apply the IPTC stationary pad, and then move on to rename the file, because that is the order it is placed in the uploader window.

I'm wondering if there is a way to reverse that order, i.e. first rename the file, and then apply the IPTC stationary pad-
because
in my workflow I manually rename the file first ( with a pre-chosen file name and sequence)
and then I apply the IPTC stationery pad (with Transref set to the variable {filenamebase} and all other fields empty, apply and merge boxes checked)
This allows me to FTP my next photo with a new correct filename and a corresponding transmission reference and never worry about what the next photo number will be.

At present I manually rename the file, then apply the stationary pad, then ftp the image, but it would be much nicer if I could just FTP the image and let the Uploader Window take care of the other 2 extra steps.

Or perhaps someone has an alternate way to achieve what I'm looking to do?
Many Thanks,
Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upload by FTP and rename file and transref question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
Nati,

You could just use the same string that you use in the Rename in the Transmission Reference field.  The sequence and other variables should evaluate to be the same resulting name.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Re: Upload by FTP and rename file and transref question
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks much for the suggestion, it works beautifully.
Nati