Author Topic: Can't access IPTC screens for Canon 10D CRW files  (Read 2157 times)

Offline jr_ed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't access IPTC screens for Canon 10D CRW files
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:49:05 AM »
I seem unable to access IPTC information for RAW files from my old Canon 10D (CRW/THM pairs). Is this camera too old to be supported?

I am running Version 5.0, build 15419 on a Windows 8.1 64-bit machine.

Here are some symptoms:

1) If I select a CRW file and press the "I" button to access the IPTC screen, I usually get no response. A few times I got a "Photo Mechanic 5.0.0.0 has stopped functioning" type of message (which seemed to not return following a reboot).
2) If I add a folder with JPGs into the contact sheet, the CRW and JPG images remain separate rather than merging (despite having "Combine RAW_JPEG into single thumbnail" selected in preferences).
3) In the contact sheet that contains both RAW + JPEG images, if I select a JPG and click the "I" button, I get the IPTC dialog box as expected. But if I press the left-right arrows, it only moves through the JPG images (skipping over the RAW images).

Do note that if I double-click an image to preview it, these CRW files view fine. I am able to view the EXIF data with the preview just fine. And in a contact sheet with both JPEG and RAW, the image previews cycle through both RAW and JPEG. The issue seems limited to IPTC information.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't access IPTC screens for Canon 10D CRW files
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
Download the build from this post:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=9040.msg44004#msg44004

It should solve your problem.

-Kirk

Offline jr_ed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
That build solved most of my issues. What it didn't take care of was #2, which may mean I misunderstand that feature.

Specifically, I opened a folder with RAW images into a contact sheet, and then opened a second folder with matching JPEG images into the same sheet. I still see separate thumbnails for each image. Does the combining only work if the RAW and JPG images are in the same folder (rather than separate folders merged into one contact sheet)?

What I am really trying to do is find an automated way to copy the IPTC info for a large batch of files from <file>.JPG to <file>.CRW (and/or the associated XMP sidecar file). I had been thinking of using the Tools->Update IPTC/XMP option with "For RAW+JPEG pairs - Read IPTC/XMP from JPEG". But perhaps there is a better way?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:43 AM »
That build solved most of my issues. What it didn't take care of was #2, which may mean I misunderstand that feature.

Specifically, I opened a folder with RAW images into a contact sheet, and then opened a second folder with matching JPEG images into the same sheet. I still see separate thumbnails for each image. Does the combining only work if the RAW and JPG images are in the same folder (rather than separate folders merged into one contact sheet)?

Yes, they have to exist in the same folder on your disk.

What I am really trying to do is find an automated way to copy the IPTC info for a large batch of files from <file>.JPG to <file>.CRW (and/or the associated XMP sidecar file). I had been thinking of using the Tools->Update IPTC/XMP option with "For RAW+JPEG pairs - Read IPTC/XMP from JPEG". But perhaps there is a better way?

That would be the way I recommend.  But you'll have to put your CRW and JPEG files in the same folder and for them to be paired, they must have the same base file name.

-Kirk