Author Topic: Navigation sort PM5 15419  (Read 5340 times)

Offline domsy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Navigation sort PM5 15419
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:24:51 AM »
Have a problem with the Navigation sort on PM5 build 15419 on OS10.9.2.  Problem existed before recent update to PM15419

The Navigation sort doesn't mirror the OSX Finder menu and even playing with the preferences doesn't have any effect.  The visible navigation options of name or date also not working.

Any advice?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Navigation sort PM5 15419
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »
Have a problem with the Navigation sort on PM5 build 15419 on OS10.9.2.  Problem existed before recent update to PM15419

The Navigation sort doesn't mirror the OSX Finder menu and even playing with the preferences doesn't have any effect.  The visible navigation options of name or date also not working.

The Navigator uses its own sort methods and is not provided by the Finder.  Perhaps you could post a screen shot that illustrates what you're talking about?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline domsy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
Here you go

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:33:32 AM »
Here you go

And what does it look like in the Finder?

-Kirk

Offline domsy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
Like this

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
The items in your Finder sidebar are also not sorted alphabetically.  Photo Mechanic reads your sidebar items from your Finder preferences (note, the data format that the Finder uses is not documented) in the order that they appear.  Sub-folders of your top-level items should appear sorted properly.  Top-level items are not sorted.

-Kirk

Offline domsy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »
I seem to remember the Navigator mirrored the finder sidebar and now it doesn't.  When I add new items to the finder sidebar they appear at the bottom of the PM Navigator.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
I seem to remember the Navigator mirrored the finder sidebar and now it doesn't.  When I add new items to the finder sidebar they appear at the bottom of the PM Navigator.

They appear in the order that they exist in the Finder's preferences file.  If the Finder has additional data that tells it how the items should be displayed, PM is not aware of it.

If Apple changes the file format of the sidebar preferences to where I cannot reverse-engineer the data, then the feature will have to be removed from the Navigator.  You can always add those folders to the Favorites pane and can then order them however you like.  You could then turn off the display of the sidebar items in the Navigator.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:23:56 AM by Kirk Baker »