Author Topic: Meaning of Delete and Disallowing changes to Camera Disks (in prefs)  (Read 2787 times)

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am just learning Photo Mechanic.  If I have the Files prefs set to move Photos to Trash and NOT to allow modification of files on Camera Disks, I have observed that selecting a contact sheet image and then pressing the delete key (on MAC) does remove the file from my flash card and write it into the Trash.

It seems to me that this behavior violates the rule about not allowing modification to files on Camera Disks. Shouldn't the delete key remove the image from the contact sheet, but leave the flash card intact?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Meaning of Delete and Disallowing changes to Camera Disks (in prefs)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »
I am just learning Photo Mechanic.  If I have the Files prefs set to move Photos to Trash and NOT to allow modification of files on Camera Disks, I have observed that selecting a contact sheet image and then pressing the delete key (on MAC) does remove the file from my flash card and write it into the Trash.

It seems to me that this behavior violates the rule about not allowing modification to files on Camera Disks. Shouldn't the delete key remove the image from the contact sheet, but leave the flash card intact?

It should neither remove the file from the Camera Disk, nor should it remove it from the Contact Sheet.  Basically, the option should not be available.  I'll fix that in an update to Photo Mechanic.

We strongly suggest that you never work from your Camera Disk.  Use Ingest to copy your images from your Camera Disk to your system.  Then work on the images on your system.

-Kirk

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  Just to explain my way of working:  I wanted to delete certain images from the contact sheet before ingesting because they were definitively undesirable, and I didn't want to have images on my drives that I wasn't even going to process through a raw coverter.  So, to me, deleting is useful at the point where I am seeing what's on my card, and before I copy them to disk.  Maybe, being new and not really up on thing, I am missing some other convenient way to omit a frame or two from the ingest.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
If you don't need more than one destination for your downloaded photos, simply select the images you do want to download and use the Copy Items command on the File menu.  Only the selected images will be copied.  You don't have to delete or modify anything on your Camera Disk in order to avoid downloading images you don't want.

-Kirk