Author Topic: LR 5 develop edits not showing back in PM-5 ?  (Read 9365 times)

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
LR 5 develop edits not showing back in PM-5 ?
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:07:14 PM »
Canon raw file in PM, select edit in LR
LR pops import "ADD" used
Go into develop mode adjust some highlights, sharpen
Back to library mode, right click and select save data to xmp file
Back to PM - no edits shown only original!!!!

LR is set to use xmp in catalog settings
PM is set for raw files to always create and/or update XMP sidecar file (two boxes above not checked) also tried it with Allow raw to be modified but same results
PM raw photo search is read xmp sidecar first

Does PM not read the edit info in the xmp sidecars for any work done in the develop module of LR?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: LR 5 develop edits not showing back in PM-5 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
PM does read the metadata contained in the XMP sidecar files, but it does not have access to the proprietary rendering engine that Adobe created in Photoshop and Lightroom.  Lightroom doesn't update the JPEG previews embedded within the RAW files when you make adjustments so other applications cannot show you your adjustments.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Edit_in_External_Editor

-Kirk

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Okay, so if I understand correctly PM isn't capable of showing the edits LR incorporates into the xmp file. That would imply that if photos require editing, once you leave PM for LR or PS there is no good reason to come back to PM to utilize its FTP transfer since PM cannot deal with any changes made by Adobe external programs unless of course you export jpgs from LR and re-ingest those with PM.  Bummer... for sure!

-Matt

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
Matt,

Okay, so if I understand correctly PM isn't capable of showing the edits LR incorporates into the xmp file. That would imply that if photos require editing, once you leave PM for LR or PS there is no good reason to come back to PM to utilize its FTP transfer since PM cannot deal with any changes made by Adobe external programs unless of course you export jpgs from LR and re-ingest those with PM.  Bummer... for sure!

You wouldn't need to re-ingest anything.  Just save the JPEGs to the same folder as your RAW files (with the same base file name) and browse that folder again with PM.  PM will pair your RAW and JPEG together into a single thumbnail from which you can continue to use the myriad features that PM offers, including uploading.

-Kirk

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Ok, so doing that changes the file name under the photo in PM to ...+JPG.  When you select FTP for this image how do you tell it to use the jpg file that LR exported?  Everything else in the FTP screen looks to be dealing with the embedded jpgs that in naturally present in the raw files which of course will not contain any of the edits.

Sorry for the noob questions...   :-[

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
Ok, so doing that changes the file name under the photo in PM to ...+JPG.  When you select FTP for this image how do you tell it to use the jpg file that LR exported?  Everything else in the FTP screen looks to be dealing with the embedded jpgs that in naturally present in the raw files which of course will not contain any of the edits.

See http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#File_Uploader

Basically unless you want to do additional image scaling, file size reduction, etc. you would choose to Transmit Original Photos and then change the RAW+JPEG popup menu to "Send JPEG files only".

-Kirk

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Thank you for your help Kirk.

Matt

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:20:59 AM »
Hi Matt,

If you would like to see your edits, instead of saving a jpg for each file, another solution could be to adopt a dng workflow. Adobe does embed all metadata in these files and allows for updating the preview as well (in LR this is still a manual process though). In answer to a different question on this forum, I have elaborated on this a bit more.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
Could capability be added to PM to pair DNGs and JPGs? And perhaps some additional DNG handling capabilities? 

I'm struggling with switching from CNX/NEF workflow, and am not crazy about adopting LR and losing the advantages of PM.

Mick

Mick
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:39:56 AM »
Matt,

You wouldn't need to re-ingest anything.  Just save the JPEGs to the same folder as your RAW files (with the same base file name) and browse that folder again with PM.  PM will pair your RAW and JPEG together into a single thumbnail from which you can continue to use the myriad features that PM offers, including uploading.

-Kirk

Hi,
This is exactly what I have done (either with LR or DPP).
It works pretty fine.
Now, the ability to pair DNG and JPEGS would be a nice thing (ideally I think one could be able to choose which kinds of pictures to pair, CR2, JPEG, TIFF, DNG, etc.)
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:43:01 AM by Luiz Muzzi »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 04:23:10 AM »
Luiz (and others),

While the pairing capability would be a good idea, with DNG files there is really no need for jpgs any longer. Just remember to update the DNG preview after editing your images in LR (and specify "full size" for the jpg preview in DNG files on the File Handling tab of the application preferences).

This is actually one of the many reasons I like Photoshop's ACR so much more than Lightroom; ACR can automatically update the DNG preview (just specify so in the camera raw preferences).

Since adopting the DNG workflow, I'm asking myself the question why haven't I made the switch (from Nikon Capture NX2 to ACR/LR) earlier? I now have almost exactly the same workflow with ACR as I had before. In fact, I can now work much faster; with ACR, working on say 50+ images at the same time is not a problem at all as before that really was a no go (and here I don't mean batch processing, but really working with 50+ images simultaneously and tweaking them individually).

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl