Author Topic: saving JPGs from NEF files following processing with Capture NX2  (Read 2613 times)

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am hoping for clarity in understanding the outcome of a JPG using 'save as' from a NEF file already processed by Capture NX2. I believe that rendering within PM is done properly by use of the jpg embedded within the NEF file, and that reflects the processing by NX2. However, the 'save as' operation must either use that same embedded jpg or does something else. If PM uses the embedded jpg, how good is that image, and how large an image can be safely produced, and with what level of quality? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: saving JPGs from NEF files following processing with Capture NX2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
I am hoping for clarity in understanding the outcome of a JPG using 'save as' from a NEF file already processed by Capture NX2. I believe that rendering within PM is done properly by use of the jpg embedded within the NEF file, and that reflects the processing by NX2. However, the 'save as' operation must either use that same embedded jpg or does something else. If PM uses the embedded jpg, how good is that image, and how large an image can be safely produced, and with what level of quality? Thanks for any help you can provide.

The embedded previews are full resolution.  So any size up to the full resolution will be fine.

The quality of the image will be of the same (or lesser) quality of the embedded preview.  I say "lesser" because you could set the quality much lower in PM and get a lower quality result.

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »
Thanks, Kirk--big help. I have relied on PM for writing JPGs whenever needed, and as time progresses, larger files are utilized. I'm relieved. That said, what a shame that Nikon is not going to continue developing or even supporting NX2. I'll continue with it as long as I can. I am not an adobe fan, nor apple for that matter--too proprietary and locked down. Once you bite, you are into it forever it seems. I prefer using the tools needed for this and that task, using OS folder structures for organization, etc. NX2 and PM work nicely together, plus others where needed.
Cheers
Gary

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Hi Gary,

I too was an avid NX2 user, but since Nikon's decision to move to NX-D instead (a decision, from a business standpoint, I actually understand), I have been looking for a good replacement workflow (see my blog).

I, like many others, have now completely moved to Adobe Camera Raw (and sometimes Lightroom). I even adopted a complete .DNG workflow (as that allows me to work completely similar as before wih NX2). I'm really happy I (finally; had been thinking about it many times before) made the switch; my workflow is now much faster! The only tool of NX2 I really miss is the retouch brush; NX's brush is so much more powerful than the one in Camera Raw / Lightroom!

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl