Author Topic: Number of computers per license.  (Read 3878 times)

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Number of computers per license.
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »
Hello,

I work for a paper that has 4 licenses of Photo Mechanic, one for each photographer's desktop computer. It is an older version 4.5.4. It is not in the budget at this time for the IT department to upgrade or buy new licenses, but we were lucky enough that they have started to give us photographers laptop computers. I have read that the photo mechanic licenses allow for more than one installation, ie one desktop and one laptop, as long as they are not used at the same time. I have found this on your website and in your forums. Our IT department is telling me this only for new licenses and does not apply to the versions we already have. Could you please provide me with the correct answer so I can know either way. The laptops are pretty much not worth the effort if we can't use your awesome software and they will not upgrade or buy additional copies at this point.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:17:57 AM by pwgphoto »
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Number of computers per license.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
Unless your IT department bought some special license (eg. volume license) where specific terms apply, any (old and new) PM license can be installed on two (three?) computers as long as you do not use them simultaneously. This has been the case for as long as I am a PhotoMechanic user.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
Well it seems we bought our version about a year, maybe more, before 4.54 and my IT guy is saying that even if Kirk says it is OK, the EULA on the disc says one computer and that Kirk could be wrong. I told him that Kirk is one of the main people and I am sure he would not be wrong. These IT guys are saying they can only go by what it says in the EULA on the discs we have. So I may be out of luck anyway Kirk answers.
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Weird, to my knowledge PM does not come on disc, only as a download, so perhaps the EULA your IT guys refer to is not actually the EULA from PhotoMechanic. To me it seems they are mixing up products...  ::) ???
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
These IT guys are saying they can only go by what it says in the EULA on the discs we have. So I may be out of luck anyway Kirk answers.

One version of an older EULA (When there were PM discs) may have indeed mentioned one computer, but we've made every attempt to update that to reflect the fact we really do understand people need this exact situation. We really appreciate the diligence of your IT in being strict on this, though. :-)

But, we really do want you to be able to do this so please have IT contact our sales department so we can get this sorted. We'll figure something out.

By Email or Phone:
sales@camerabits.com
+1 503.547.2800 //

One other thing though. I'm curious about what OS your new laptops are running. There is a sad chance that they won't run 4.5.4.  But if they can, we want to find a way to update your EULA.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
Yeah are old copies used to come on disc. I even bought a personal copy back in the day on disc. I got a feeling no matter how many people here tell me it is OK, short of Dennis Walker, my IT department is going to believe me. I told them Kirk is one of the main people and they told me that employees could have the wrong info or be mistaken.
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »
Thanks Mick I will pass this along. We are running Windows 7 and it has been working on our desktops. I wish we could upgrade, but don't think they will pay at this point. I will try and get them to call.
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
If it takes a letter from Dennis, we might be able to arrange that. :-)

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
Thank you Mick. I passed this thread onto Frank one of our IT guys and he said he would call later. I really appreciate you guys helping. Your program rocks and we have been using it a long time. I liked it so much I bought a copy for my personal use, which I will someday soon upgrade. Keep up the great work. I made a joke to our other shooters that I hoped it wouldn't take a letter tattoo'd on Dennis' back to get this done, before I saw your last post.  :)
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD