Author Topic: Mail support for "Mailmate"?  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mail support for "Mailmate"?
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
I know that the list of email clients is fairly limited and that the restrictions relate to applicable AppleScripts, but Mailmate is a pretty stripped-down workhorse and I've found it pretty flexible.  Is there any chance you guys could investigate what might be involved in adding it to the selections of email clients in PM?

Thanks!

Chawn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mail support for "Mailmate"?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
Chawn,

I know that the list of email clients is fairly limited and that the restrictions relate to applicable AppleScripts, but Mailmate is a pretty stripped-down workhorse and I've found it pretty flexible.  Is there any chance you guys could investigate what might be involved in adding it to the selections of email clients in PM?

Does Mailmate support AppleScript?  Specifically does it support creating a new email, setting the addresses, subject, body, and the attachment of images via AppleScript?

You'll have to do that investigation yourself and get back to me.  If Mailmate supports the above then we can add support for it.

-Kirk

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
I believe it does, but I'll shoot an email to the guy who built it and let you know, Kirk.  Thanks!

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Benny's reply was as follows:
"Yes, although it's more like an extension of the `mailto:` URL scheme
used via AppleScript"

"That should be possible. You can read about the extended `mailto:` URL
scheme here (including some examples): http://manual.mailmate-app.com/extended_url_scheme

"There is also a command line interface which is easier to use if you
don't have to use AppleScript: http://manual.mailmate-app.com/emate

Does this provide any potential?

~Chawn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
Chawn,

Benny's reply was as follows:
"Yes, although it's more like an extension of the `mailto:` URL scheme
used via AppleScript"

"That should be possible. You can read about the extended `mailto:` URL
scheme here (including some examples): http://manual.mailmate-app.com/extended_url_scheme

"There is also a command line interface which is easier to use if you
don't have to use AppleScript: http://manual.mailmate-app.com/emate

Does this provide any potential?

Possibly.  His extended mailto URL scheme allows for an attachment, but does it allow for multiple attachments?

Does Mailmate interpret its textual parameters as UTF-8 Unicode text?

-Kirk

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
Nevermind.  This is just South of ridiculous for a feature request.  Clearly I'm a "user"; not a developer, for pity's sake.  Asking a person in my position to do all the legwork to improve your program isn't exactly inspiring.  Good Lord.

Offline Chawn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
Mailmate is WIDELY used these days; if PM doesn't want to support it, life will go on just fine.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
Chawn,

Nevermind.  This is just South of ridiculous for a feature request.  Clearly I'm a "user"; not a developer, for pity's sake.  Asking a person in my position to do all the legwork to improve your program isn't exactly inspiring.  Good Lord.

We're very busy on another project.  We support several email clients in Photo Mechanic.  You can easily setup Apple Mail for the sole purpose of sending images if you like.

Until you made the feature request, I had never heard of Mailmate.  Photo Mechanic uses AppleScript to send email in supported applications on the Mac OS X platform.  Mailmate does not appear to support AppleScript at the level that Photo Mechanic needs.  I would have to create a new system just to support Mailmate.  Asking you for a little help when you've asked me to implement a feature for you doesn't seem too much to ask from my point of view.  I see that you feel differently.

-Kirk