Author Topic: Improvements in the Update IPTC/XMP functionality  (Read 4153 times)

Offline theorib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Theo Ribeiro - Photography
Improvements in the Update IPTC/XMP functionality
« on: January 09, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
Hello Kirk, happy new year!

I would like to suggest an improvement for the "Update IPTC/XMP functionality" that I believe would save my life and many other people's too.

More often than not, we end up with TIFF files or JPG files or RAW files captioned differently (or some captioned, some not)

For JPGs/RAW pairs, that is an easy matter to solve but involves dragging them to the same folder which many times is not desirable at all.

Many times though, all we want is to apply the IPTC information we putted into a file into all its child files or the ones with the same name that may be versions or child files from the original one. For example, Tiff files generated from RAW files that were not captioned at that time but were thoroughly captioned later.

If we could get to define a source folder and a destination folder so that the "Update IPTC/XMP" would get IPTC info from files on the source folder and apply them to the ones with the same filename base (excluding the extension of course) on the destination folder it would be awesome!

That way, we can "transfer" our captions from TIFF files to a RAW files, from RAW files to JPGs or TIFFs and so on.

Thank you in advanced for your support and have a very happy new year!.

Theo

Theo Ribeiro
theo@theoribeiro.com

+54 9 2944 695103
+55 11 3864-2747

www.theoribeiro.com
archive.theoribeiro.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Improvements in the Update IPTC/XMP functionality
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:17:16 AM »
Hi Theo,

I would like to suggest an improvement for the "Update IPTC/XMP functionality" that I believe would save my life and many other people's too.

More often than not, we end up with TIFF files or JPG files or RAW files captioned differently (or some captioned, some not)

For JPGs/RAW pairs, that is an easy matter to solve but involves dragging them to the same folder which many times is not desirable at all.

You do not have to move files around at all.  Just open the two folders as a single contact sheet window.  The RAWs and the JPEGs will then sit side by side.

Quote from: theorib
Many times though, all we want is to apply the IPTC information we putted into a file into all its child files or the ones with the same name that may be versions or child files from the original one. For example, Tiff files generated from RAW files that were not captioned at that time but were thoroughly captioned later.

If we could get to define a source folder and a destination folder so that the "Update IPTC/XMP" would get IPTC info from files on the source folder and apply them to the ones with the same filename base (excluding the extension of course) on the destination folder it would be awesome!

That way, we can "transfer" our captions from TIFF files to a RAW files, from RAW files to JPGs or TIFFs and so on.

I agree that this would be useful.  One problem is that there is one RAW file that actually ends in TIF already (Canon 1D and 1Ds RAW files.)  I'll think on a solution...

-Kirk