Author Topic: Where does this "01" come from?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline CameraNera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where does this "01" come from?
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
Hello,

I am trying to rename my files but don't exactly get what I would like to have...

I use the window "save photos as"....and would like to get low resolution JPGS, therefore I put in the field "rename" I said Auswahl_{filenamebase} and chose JPG.

For exemple if I had DSC_2345.NEF I thought I would get Auswahl_DSC_1234.jpg

But actually I get Auswahl_DSC_234501.JPG

the "01" at the end disturbs me, plus I cannot understand where it comes from. Doing lots of pictures at the time, it still remains 01 at the end (I mean, with the next pictures, it doesn't increase like 02, 03, which is somehow logical, because I did not fill the option "sequence".)

Any hint?

And if, in top of it, I could erase the DSC_ part (so that I get Auswahl_2345.jpg) , that would be even greater. As the DSC is in the middle of the name, I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and tricks,

best,
Camera Nera

PS: I work with Mac 10.8.5 and PM Version 5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where does this "01" come from?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »
I am trying to rename my files but don't exactly get what I would like to have...

I use the window "save photos as"....and would like to get low resolution JPGS, therefore I put in the field "rename" I said Auswahl_{filenamebase} and chose JPG.

For exemple if I had DSC_2345.NEF I thought I would get Auswahl_DSC_1234.jpg

But actually I get Auswahl_DSC_234501.JPG

the "01" at the end disturbs me, plus I cannot understand where it comes from. Doing lots of pictures at the time, it still remains 01 at the end (I mean, with the next pictures, it doesn't increase like 02, 03, which is somehow logical, because I did not fill the option "sequence".)

Any hint?

And if, in top of it, I could erase the DSC_ part (so that I get Auswahl_2345.jpg) , that would be even greater. As the DSC is in the middle of the name, I am not sure how to do it.

Sounds like you have your file renaming resolution set to always add digits, or you're saving the images more than once to the same folder and an image with the same name already exists.

To get the renaming the way you described:

Auswahl_{filenamebase:-4,4}

See http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Variable_Substring_Extraction for more information on the subject.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Camera Nera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for your help.

Sounds like you have your file renaming resolution set to always add digits

.. yes that seems to be it, but where would be such a setting, elsewhere than in the filed "Rename as" and by checking the box "Sequence" ? I don't see any other possibility in the preferences, but maybe I oversaw something? I am attaching a screenshot of the settings, but it feels to me like all should be correct?

or you're saving the images more than once to the same folder and an image with the same name already exists.

That can not be the source of the problem I guess: the folder was newly created and it was the first import into it (therefore the folder was empty, so no name already existing neither). I repeated with other test folders to be sure, and unfortunately it was the same.

Thanks for the link with the variables and the hint for renaming the files like I wished in any case.

Best,
Camera Nera

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:28:51 PM by Noukita »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »

Sounds like you have your file renaming resolution set to always add digits

.. yes that seems to be it, but where would be such a setting, elsewhere than in the filed "Rename as" and by checking the box "Sequence" ? I don't see any other possibility in the preferences, but maybe I oversaw something? I am attaching a screenshot of the settings, but it feels to me like all should be correct?

See http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Files_Preferences

Renaming resolution.

or you're saving the images more than once to the same folder and an image with the same name already exists.

That can not be the source of the problem I guess: the folder was newly created and it was the first import into it (therefore the folder was empty, so no name already existing neither). I repeated with other test folders to be sure, and unfortunately it was the same.

OK, please check your Renaming resolution settings and get back to me if the problem persists.

-Kirk

Offline Camera Nera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Where does this "01" come from? [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »
Hi Kirk

OK, please check your Renaming resolution settings

That was it!

I had (not willingly) put there "always append a digit" once (I like this software a lot but do not use it regularly, that's why I was not aware of it).
I turned the setting to "append digits when needed" and it works perfectly fine now.

Thanks a lot for helping solving the problem; your answers always were very fast, clear and friendly, what more could a confused user ask for? :D

Best,
CameraNera
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:24:57 PM by Camera Nera »