Author Topic: Snagging/lagging PhotoMechanic...why?  (Read 2439 times)

Offline susanstripling

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Snagging/lagging PhotoMechanic...why?
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
Hi all;

I'm running an iMac version 10.8.2 and PhotoMechanic 4.6.7.

All of a sudden - over the past month, really - PhotoMechanic has become unbearably irritating.  Every 10-20 images (while trying to cull a wedding) the whole program freezes.  This is always after I've given an image a star rating and tried to move to the next image.  The program lags/snags for upwards of ten seconds and I have to wait for it to move to the next image before I can continue.  This is making my regularly very speedy culling sessions take almost three times as long as they should.

I have plenty of hard drive and scratch disk space.  The problem seems to be coming from the program itself but I can't figure out why or how to fix it.

Help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Snagging/lagging PhotoMechanic...why?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
I'm running an iMac version 10.8.2 and PhotoMechanic 4.6.7.

All of a sudden - over the past month, really - PhotoMechanic has become unbearably irritating.  Every 10-20 images (while trying to cull a wedding) the whole program freezes.  This is always after I've given an image a star rating and tried to move to the next image.  The program lags/snags for upwards of ten seconds and I have to wait for it to move to the next image before I can continue.  This is making my regularly very speedy culling sessions take almost three times as long as they should.

First try upgrading to PM 4.6.9.  All PM versions prior to PM 4.6.9 are not compatible with Mac OS X 10.8.

http://www.camerabits.com/downloads/

If the problem persists after upgrading, please post back here.

-Kirk

Offline susanstripling

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »
Thank you!  If I upgrade will I lose the stars that I've already put on these images or should they remain when I import them into a new catalog?

Offline susanstripling

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
Unfortunately now I am having the same problem - and I just paid $150 for an upgrade that didn't fix a thing.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
The upgrade to PM 4.6.9 is absolutely free.  You purchased a new license to PM 5.  If you wish to have a refund, please call the sales department at +1 503-547-2800 tomorrow.

In the meantime, get PM 4.6.9 from the download link I provided you earlier (it's at the bottom of the page and costs nothing to download.)

What I would have had you do after upgrading to PM 4.6.9 would be to reset your preferences by following the instructions on this page:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8218.0

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline susanstripling

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
But if 4.6.9 works to solve the problem why would not one step up, to PM 5, also work to solve the problem?

Here is an attached example of what keeps happening.  Along with the lag this happens often - when I go from one image to another it often freezes like this and looks like there are no more images after the one I'm looking at when there are hundreds more.  It holds here for about 20-30 seconds before the photograph resolves and I can move onwards.

I've got two other computers and have been running PM for years and never had this problem.  I'm stumped.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline susanstripling

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »
Also when I attempted to just upgrade I was told that my license was too old and I'd have to purchase the upgrade outright.  Is this not so?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
Here is an attached example of what keeps happening.  Along with the lag this happens often - when I go from one image to another it often freezes like this and looks like there are no more images after the one I'm looking at when there are hundreds more.  It holds here for about 20-30 seconds before the photograph resolves and I can move onwards.

Did you reset your preferences as I directed you to do in my last post?  If not, that is what you need to do next.  If after resetting your preferences the problem still occurs, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Also when I attempted to just upgrade I was told that my license was too old and I'd have to purchase the upgrade outright.  Is this not so?

Your original license is for PM 4.6.x.  If you downloaded and attempted to activate PM 5, your license would indeed be too old.  Had you downloaded PM 4.6.9 your original license would have worked fine.  That is why I directed you to download PM 4.6.9: it was the easiest path to begin to solve your problem.

-Kirk