Author Topic: FTP Pause/Restart  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Josh_Hawkins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTP Pause/Restart
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »
This has probably already been requested, but if it hasn't, a pause and restart button on the ftp functionality would be great.  I need this when I'm uploading a large number of images to work but I need to stop it to do some research for a few minutes and I don't want to tie up my DSL.  And also when I'm uploading on the go, at my convenience, or my airport just decides to disconnect, and PM just stops sending and to restart I need to restart the upload process.  Thanks for all your help Kirk.

Josh Hawkins 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP Pause/Restart
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:14:27 AM »
Josh,

This has probably already been requested, but if it hasn't, a pause and restart button on the ftp functionality would be great.  I need this when I'm uploading a large number of images to work but I need to stop it to do some research for a few minutes and I don't want to tie up my DSL.  And also when I'm uploading on the go, at my convenience, or my airport just decides to disconnect, and PM just stops sending and to restart I need to restart the upload process.  Thanks for all your help Kirk.

I have just added your request to the wish list.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »
I agree about pause button, but if ftp transfer gets disconnected there's no reason to restart everything. Only thing you need to do, is "restart" files where transfer failed. You can do this with clicking third button from top on right side of upload "window".

Offline Josh_Hawkins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:56 PM »
I agree about pause button, but if ftp transfer gets disconnected there's no reason to restart everything. Only thing you need to do, is "restart" files where transfer failed. You can do this with clicking third button from top on right side of upload "window".

Part of the problem is that the refresh button is grayed out when I get cut off.  PM seems to think it is still transferring photos, as the transfer speed keeps dropping (and it's not sending anything because I can see that nothing is going to through the modem).  Given some time, seems around 10 minutes, it allows the refresh button to be used again, and it also reconnects itself and starts to transfer again.  I'm just impatient and don't want to wait in that situation.  Either which way a pause restart button will help when I have to be doing multiple things online.

Kirk, thanks for adding that to the wish list.  Now, is it wrong that when I saw the iPhone I wanted a USB mini port to hook up my PSD and run PM on it?   ;D

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:24:49 PM »
Kirk, thanks for adding that to the wish list.  Now, is it wrong that when I saw the iPhone I wanted a USB mini port to hook up my PSD and run PM on it?   ;D

I initially thought the same thing: make a version of PM to run on the iPhone, but I don't think it has much RAM.  It certainly doesn't have much storage.  Also there appears to be no SDK for third party developers planned.  At least Apple isn't saying anything...

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:31:22 AM »
Josh I guess this depends on some PM setting or ftp server settings. Last week I was transmitting photos from one press center where they had wifi network for us, but it was really crapy one, so it was connecting and disconnecting constantly. This also means transfers in PM were going down all the time. But it never took more then minute (or even less) for PM to "mark" photos as error when transmitting. Personally I don't remember I ever set some ftp timeout in PM (to be honest I have no idea if such option even exists), but as I said in my case PM was able to retransmit quite fast not after 10mins. That's why I wrote previous comment, because I never had such case as you did. So in your case I understand that waiting for 10mins is way too much :)

I initially thought the same thing: make a version of PM to run on the iPhone, but I don't think it has much RAM.
What about Pocket PC?  ;D Yes I know Phojo is there already and it works fine, but PM is still PM :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:46:04 AM »
I initially thought the same thing: make a version of PM to run on the iPhone, but I don't think it has much RAM.
What about Pocket PC?  ;D Yes I know Phojo is there already and it works fine, but PM is still PM :)

Pocket PC is OK.  The iPhone just sounded like fun.  That's all.

-Kirk