Author Topic: search by color class  (Read 5452 times)

Offline allen allen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
search by color class
« on: May 12, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
Hi,

I'm running PM 5 on a mac.  I use the color red to mark all images that are no good.  I don't delete immediately and I've accumulated a lot of images that I would like get rid of.  I organize my images by dated folders under the year it was taken.  Is there a way to pull up all the red images in one contact sheet?  So far, I've been going into each folder and then filtering for red.  I don't see an option in search or find to do this.

Thanks,

Allen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: search by color class
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Allen,

I'm running PM 5 on a mac.  I use the color red to mark all images that are no good.  I don't delete immediately and I've accumulated a lot of images that I would like get rid of.  I organize my images by dated folders under the year it was taken.  Is there a way to pull up all the red images in one contact sheet?  So far, I've been going into each folder and then filtering for red.  I don't see an option in search or find to do this.

I suggest sorting by Color Class.  All of your 'Red' images will be grouped together.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Sorting

-Kirk

Offline allen allen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk. 

Is it possible to sort images labeled red (to the trash) in multiple folders at the same time?  I was looking for a short cut so I don't have to open one folder at a time, sort by red, delete and repeat.  I organize my folders by Year taken with subfolders of date taken.  Is it possible to search for all images marked red in the year 2014?  It would be great if they all appear in one contact sheet for one more look before I send them to the trash.

Allen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
Allen,

Is it possible to sort images labeled red (to the trash) in multiple folders at the same time?  I was looking for a short cut so I don't have to open one folder at a time, sort by red, delete and repeat.  I organize my folders by Year taken with subfolders of date taken.  Is it possible to search for all images marked red in the year 2014?  It would be great if they all appear in one contact sheet for one more look before I send them to the trash.

Right click on a folder in the Navigator (that has subfolders) and choose "Open Folder and Subfolders in new Contact Sheet".  Then sort by color class, or use the Color Class filter widget (option click on the Red color to show only Red items).

PM can handle at least 10k images at once, but going over that amount would be pushing the limits so be aware that there are limits to how many images PM can work with at a time.
HTH,

-Kirk

Offline allen allen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
Thanks again Kirk.  What a time saver that is.  It's obvious I'm not using Photo Mechanic to it's full potential. 

I was able to open up over 1,300 images in one contact sheet.  It took a few minutes to load.  I'm on a 2009 Mac Pro quad core 2.66Ghz with 8GB of ram.  I'll see if it's any faster when I upgrade to 16GB. 

Allen