Author Topic: Ingesting previously ingested images  (Read 3125 times)

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting previously ingested images
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
(Another new user question)

I just ingested images from a card and only the most recent 7 images came in.  Looking at the card contents in MAC Finder, there are 37 RAW/Jpeg pairs on the card. The card had been previously ingested, but on this operation, I made sure the Incremental Ingest checkbox was unchecked.

Is there a way to get PM to 'forget' previous ingests?

(just to explain, I am trying various ingest details to arrive at the best arrangement for me.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting previously ingested images
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
(Another new user question)

I just ingested images from a card and only the most recent 7 images came in.  Looking at the card contents in MAC Finder, there are 37 RAW/Jpeg pairs on the card. The card had been previously ingested, but on this operation, I made sure the Incremental Ingest checkbox was unchecked.

Is there a way to get PM to 'forget' previous ingests?

(just to explain, I am trying various ingest details to arrive at the best arrangement for me.)

Yes, the database that keeps track of what was ingested can be deleted.  But simply unchecking Incremental Ingest should force Ingest to copy everything from your card.  When you Ingested without Incremental Ingest active, what was downloaded?

-Kirk

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »
I got the latest seven images downloaded, but upon looking at the card in Finder, I saw there were 37 raw/jpeg pairs on it.

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »
And, by the way, i am surprised and grateful for your rapid response!

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
Hi sigmadp2user,

Can you post a screenshot of your Ingest Dialog?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:38:54 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
Here's the screen shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »
So far I've been unable to reproduce this problem.

Does the backup drive, main system drive as well as the main ingest drive have plenty of free space left?

With your ingest settings it's going to create separate folders based on the day, month and year of the photograph. Are these other photos possibly shot on another day and they're sitting in another folder? It should open up all of the tabs across the top of your Contact sheet window during ingest.  http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Contact_Sheets

You may want to get into the habit of using {fbas} instead of {filename} since most of the time {filename} will return the whole filename with the extension whereas {fbas} will only return the name of the file excluding the extension (such as JPG or NEF)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:34:21 PM by Brandon »

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
I think I misunderstood the display. Perhaps the only thumbnails I see are those in the last folder to be ingested-into! That would explain why i thought all I could see were the new ones. The old ones were in other folders and not displayed when the ingest operation finished.

I'll go back for a more careful look.  Sorry to waste your time!!

If I do not reply again, that means all is well.

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
As it ingests it will open up tabs across the top of the Contact Sheet. I've circled in red the location of these tabs in the picture below.

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
So far I've been unable to reproduce this problem.

Does the backup drive, main system drive as well as the main ingest drive have plenty of free space left?

With your ingest settings it's going to create separate folders based on the day, month and year of the photograph. Are these other photos possibly shot on another day and they're sitting in another folder? It should open up all of the tabs across the top of your Contact sheet window during ingest.  http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Contact_Sheets

You may want to get into the habit of using {fbas} instead of {filename} since most of the time {filename} will return the whole filename with the extension whereas {fbas} will only return the name of the file excluding the extension (such as JPG or NEF)

About using {fbas}, I think I DO want the extension there at the end of the resulting filename.  For example, the extension will in some cases direct the Edit command to launch a different raw converter based upon that extension.  Does that make sense to you or am I missing something here?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
Photo Mechanic will always put the proper extension onto renamed filenames.  You don't want files to end in .JPG.JPG though, right?  Using {fbas} will leave you with a single extension.

-Kirk

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »
Here's a window grab of my Ingest Destination folder.  The extensions are as the PM ingest operation made them - correct!  Even though I specified {filename} not {fbas}.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
Here's a window grab of my Ingest Destination folder.  The extensions are as the PM ingest operation made them - correct!  Even though I specified {filename} not {fbas}.

Then Photo Mechanic is being smarter than I expected.  I still suggest that you use {fbas} instead but it looks like using {filename} is fine as well (at least in this circumstance.)

-Kirk

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 03:35:35 PM »
Will do.