Author Topic: Move Options related "issues"  (Read 2429 times)

Offline tokurvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Move Options related "issues"
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
Howdy.

I have PM5 build 15451 in an iMac with OS X 10.9.2.

I use Move dialog to copy Job files from Ingest location to the appropriate directory. These "issues" are related to the usability of the Move options dialog and fixing them would make a big difference as I use this dialog most in the whole app.

How I use PM5 (so you can check if I do something weird or my way of using the dialog is the reason for my issues:)
1. I ingest all photos and videos from each camera/card to my primary and secondary locations (usually 2-3, sometimes up to 6 cameras).
2. I open primary ingest location.
3. I select photos for this Job and press CMD+Y.
4. I click "Job..." and write the job name.
5. I click "Set {seqn} variable..." and click "Reset" and click "Ok".
6. I would like to check that the new filename is ok, but usually this is not possible at this state as the dialog only shows part of the new filename...
7. I click "Move" to move the files to "correct drive"\year-month-day_Job directory with hopefully correct names.
8. Continue with step 3 for next Job.

I used to be a great fan of Bibble Pro cause this was really easy in that one. There steps 4-7 required that I did not need to use mouse at all, I just typed the name of job and pressed Enter. I wish that you would consider taking my "wishes" into account and make PM5 even better.

I attached an example of my Move Options dialog selections (with some explanations related to my wishes...)

I have three "issues":
1. At the moment the dialog truncates new filenames. But on the dialog there is a lot of space to show longer filename as well. It would be very helpful to be able to check the full new filename before pressing move button. It would be even greater if I could make the dialog bigger to show full filenames if they do not fit otherwise, but maybe that wish is pushing too much?
2. The "to be moved" files filenames are not up-to-date, until I change the {seqn} variable.
3. It takes a few clicks to reset the {seqn} variable every time I move files. I frequently have multiple jobs per day to be moved, so this has to be done every time. It would be great if I could set the {seqn} variable to be reset every time I open the dialog. And in a case I ever need to add files to an existing job, then I can just make the change manually.

Thanks for a great app!

BR Toni

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:19:11 PM by tokurvin »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move Options related "issues"
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:16:54 PM »
Toni,

Thanks for your feedback.  I will look into the truncated filenames issue.  As for resetting the Sequence, hold down the Option key on your keyboard (Windows users would hold down the Shift key instead) and notice that the Set sequence button's text changes to "Reset".  Click on it and the sequence value will be reset.

We won't be adding a checkbox that resets the sequence value automatically when the dialog opens.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Copy_Photos_2
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Modifier_Key

-Kirk

Offline tokurvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks, Kirk for fast reply (as usual :D)

Br. Toni

Offline tokurvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
Hi again.

You mentioned earlier:
As for resetting the Sequence, hold down the Option key on your keyboard (Windows users would hold down the Shift key instead) and notice that the Set sequence button's text changes to "Reset".  Click on it and the sequence value will be reset.

In my iMac, the Set sequence button's text does not change at all even if I hold down the Option key. It does seem to work though, but it is a bit confusing as you do not see any difference in the button text...

BR. Toni

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
The next Mac build will have that detail fixed.

Thanks for telling me about it.

-Kirk