Author Topic: File copy with overwrite  (Read 5069 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
File copy with overwrite
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

would you consider adding an "overwrite destination file?" query when doing copy/move/drag&drop operations within PM? Currently, AFAIK it always appens a letter/digit to the file if I copy it to somewhere where such filename already exists. Obviously, users would have to be careful but they have to be anyway not to overwrite same name folder in OS X with same name (though even empty) folder upon copying in Finder.

With regards to workflow, many times I have edited tiffs or jpegs from e.g. graphics workstation at work which I need to transfer back to my computer archive or whatever e.g. on a USB drive. Or on same computer from another folder back to original folder. I want to do it inside PM because I can filter them on their rating etc., but there is no easy route to drag the files and let them overwrite the "originals" (with my clicked consent of course). Or even in the Copy/Move dialog some checkbox like ((Ask) to overwrite if destination same files?).

Currently, the only workaround inside PM is to save the selection of files as .txt, load the selection in the other contact sheet, delete the files from the selection, then copy the files from the first contact sheet to the other. Workable, but not exactly easy.

Obviously, any overwrite feature needs to be safeguarded to different levels e.g. in preferences and with a dialog like (overwrite all/ask every file/skip all/skip current) like in any good file manager.

Thanks for consideration, Frantisek

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
Re: File copy with overwrite
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »
I would love to see the copy dialog asking me to "rename or skip"

So far, my workflow makes me copy all the items from one folder to another, multiple times. By selecting and copying from PM using "Copy selected photos..." it automatically creates a new one with a suffix.

I want the new images to be copied BUT the identical, to be skipped (or ask me what to do).

This task must be done with the Windows explorer. It's a shame because I can't make it straight from PM.

Thanks!

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »
All we want is a dialog box asking us if we want to replace or have unique names (or cancel).
Pleaseā€¦.
Marc

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:23:04 AM »
Hi,
If the dialoque box does exist, there should be an option to "Always clear..."
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:31 AM »
Luiz,

If the dialoque box does exist, there should be an option to "Always clear..."

Always clear?  Clear what?

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Probably the same like in the copy / move dialog?

[attachment deleted by admin]
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »
Probably the same like in the copy / move dialog?

Yes. That was exactly what I meant. Sorry not to have detailed it.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:28:49 AM »
Last weekend I spent a time searching for duplicate files because this missing feature.
Some problems forced me to copy a CF card 3 times to the destination folder.
One time, power outage; second somebody took the CF off the reader; so I had to resume copying 3 times.
That created a lot of duplicates. If simply asking me "160 files are duplicates, What to do? replace, rename, skip?"
THanks guys! I love PM and this will help us a lot.