Author Topic: Maintain selected picture when filtering and unfiltering by rating  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Thomas Campitelli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Howdy Folks,

When tagging athletes by number, I often turn filtering by rating on and off. For example, when I have a picture of an athlete I like but cannot make out their number, I will turn on images that have zero stars to see if I have another frame that shows this. In almost every case, this results in deselecting the image I initially started with. Depending on where I am, I may have a lot of scrolling to do to find my original place. When tagging hundreds of shots, this becomes a major hassle.

Here's my question, can I maintain my place and selected image when filtering and unfiltering images?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Maintain selected picture when filtering and unfiltering by rating
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
Do you have more than one image selected or only one image selected when you change the Ratings filter?  Changing the filters should not destroy the selection unless the selected items are filtered out.  If you have only one image selected and you have lost track of it, pressing the right arrow key followed by the left arrow key should get your selected item back on screen.

-Kirk

Offline Thomas Campitelli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
Only one image is selected and it is rated with one star. The little 0-star button in the lower right is off. When I click on the 0-star button to show the other images, the image is deselected and I am sent to somewhere near the top of the stack. However, there is a wrinkle that may help you reproduce this. When I am not tagging, I can use the arrow button trick.

I double click on an image to bring up a preview.
I click on the "I" icon to bring up the metadata.
I do some metadata updates.
I advance the photo using one of the buttons in right of the IPTC window.
A new photo is now selected.
I exit the IPTC window and the preview window.
The image is still selected in the main contact sheet.
I unfilter using the stars in the right hand corner.
Image is no longer selected. Arrow keys don't do anything. I am advanced towards the top of the contact sheet and must scroll back down.

Latest verison of PM on Win 8.1.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Only one image is selected and it is rated with one star. The little 0-star button in the lower right is off. When I click on the 0-star button to show the other images, the image is deselected and I am sent to somewhere near the top of the stack. However, there is a wrinkle that may help you reproduce this. When I am not tagging, I can use the arrow button trick.

I double click on an image to bring up a preview.
I click on the "I" icon to bring up the metadata.
I do some metadata updates.
I advance the photo using one of the buttons in right of the IPTC window.
A new photo is now selected.
I exit the IPTC window and the preview window.
The image is still selected in the main contact sheet.
I unfilter using the stars in the right hand corner.
Image is no longer selected. Arrow keys don't do anything. I am advanced towards the top of the contact sheet and must scroll back down.

Latest verison of PM on Win 8.1.

Thank you for the additional information, Thomas.  It may help me reproduce and fix the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Thomas,

I am unable to reproduce the problem given your steps.  Could you make a screen recording showing the problem in action and post a link to it here? (or send me a personal message with the link if you wish for no one else to see your video.)

Thanks,

-Kirk