Author Topic: Browse to folder display  (Read 3519 times)

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
Browse to folder display
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:58:51 AM »
This may be a silly request, but it bothers me a lot when working.

Everytime I choose a new destination/folder when copying or ingesting, I see the Browse to folder dialog displaying all the disks and not the last used folder.

Example:
Let's say that the last option used was C:\MAIN TOPIC\SUB1\SUB2\SUB3\SUB4\SUB5

When I click again to change the destination, I see the the Browse to folder displaying my disks and not the SUB5 expanded view and located over SUB5, so I have to click one by one again (or at least scroll to find it, among hundreds of folders).

I'm not sure if I'm clear explaining this. English is not my languague. Please let me know if you need to clarify again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Browse to folder display
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
This may be a silly request, but it bothers me a lot when working.

Everytime I choose a new destination/folder when copying or ingesting, I see the Browse to folder dialog displaying all the disks and not the last used folder.

Example:
Let's say that the last option used was C:\MAIN TOPIC\SUB1\SUB2\SUB3\SUB4\SUB5

When I click again to change the destination, I see the the Browse to folder displaying my disks and not the SUB5 expanded view and located over SUB5, so I have to click one by one again (or at least scroll to find it, among hundreds of folders).

I'm not sure if I'm clear explaining this. English is not my languague. Please let me know if you need to clarify again.

I'll look into the problem, but I think you'd be better off choosing a Primary folder once (at the top of your file system) and let Ingest build the folder path for you.  It's one of the things that Ingest does very well.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Copy_Photos

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
Kirk, just to more clear in my explanation, here's a capture of what happens when I open Browse For Folder (no matter if at startup or when pressing "..." button) and what could be better.

Left windows displays what actually is behaving.
It says "3DOM" folder but it's not displaying its position in the tree.
The right window is what is should looks like. Display it centered and expanded.

I have trouble with this because I have tons of subfolders and expanding them one by one is really boring.

Also, the same happens with the Navigator window. It tends to be always scrolled to the left and not to the right, displaying the active folder.

Thanks guys! Awesome job!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »
It turns out that this is a bug not in Photo Mechanic, but in the dialog provided by Microsoft.  Furthermore, Microsoft has known about the issue for some time now and it looks like they don't plan to fix the problem soon:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a22b664e-cb30-44f4-bf77-b7a385de49f3/shbrowseforfolder-bug-in-windows-7?forum=vcgeneral

(Note the post dated December 10, 2009 by Rong-Chun Zhang where they acknowledge the problem.)

There is a workaround that can be coded up (and I have done so today) which involves calculating where the selected item is and simulating scroll bar events to scroll the selected folder into view.  It doesn't scroll into view instantly but it is better than having to scroll and search for the item.

The workaround will appear in the next build of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:55:56 AM »
Thanks Kirk! You guys are doing great. ;)
Thanks again!